Ten.

Chapter Ten –

“I don’t know how many times I have to go over-”

“Are you done?” Caleb snapped impatiently, looking up from the zipper attached to his leather jacket.

Mr Hunter’s eyes narrowed at his son’s lack of care regarding the lecture he was about to launch into, but kept himself composed before responding. “Oh, I apologise. I wasn’t aware you had somewhere else to be at 2AM. How rude of me.”

“We didn’t do anything wrong.” Caleb snarled in annoyance.

“You left campus grounds without my permission. This is the second time-”

A smug smirk appeared on Caleb’s lips. “We left your house, if I recall correctly.”

“Regardless. You were expected to come straight back here. I at least thought you would have made that happen.” It took me a while to register that the last part of his speech was directed towards me and I quickly looked away from Caleb’s smirk and down at my lap.

“I’m sorry sir.” I mumbled.

“Sorry is not going to cut it. Now because this is the second time you’ve done this-”

“More like second time I’ve been caught.” Caleb muttered beside me. I turned to glare at him, showing that he wasn’t helping our case.

“I’m going to pretend that I didn’t hear that.” Caleb’s dad growled. “You can both work in the cafeteria for a week. Ella, you can be behind the counter helping the cooks. Caleb, you’re cleaning the tables and helping the cleaner take out the trash.”

I frowned. “Sir, with all due respect; this is college. You can’t exactly punish us for having a little fun.”

“This is a private college; one that has strict rules that you were well aware of once accepted here. Whether you believe the conditions set are right or not, you must follow them. Or you can simply leave. I’m sure you’re wanted somewhere else.”

I stayed silent at that, internally fuming at his words.

“Whatever. Let’s go.” Caleb scoffed, getting out of his seat with an eye roll.

I scrambled to my feet with wide eyes, shocked at the sudden movement. “Uh… are we allowed?” I looked over at Mr Hunter for permission.

He sighed and sank into his chair before flicking his wrist to motion us to get out. “My stubborn son is not going to listen if I tell you to stay anyway. One week for the both of you. I’ll let the staff know.”

“Okay. Thank y-”

“Ella.” Caleb growled from behind me, before yanking me out of his father’s office.

Once the door slammed shut behind us, I scowled and shook my arm out of Caleb’s grip. “I was just thanking him!”

“For giving us detention?” Caleb stopped walking, letting his words sink in.

It was then that I realised I was beyond tired. “I want to sleep.”

“We’re going back to our room.”

“No, no.” I mumbled, shaking my head. “Right now. I want to sleep now. Right here.” I began to sink down onto the carpeted floor of the administration office before Caleb hooked both arms underneath my own and pulled me back up.

“What the hell is wrong with you?! You’re heavy, get up.” He scowled, trying to shake me awake.

“I’m not heavy.” I frowned.