Sixteen.

Chapter Sixteen –

“Do you know how much I needed this? You two know how to make me feel better more than a good ol’ tub of Ben & Jerry’s does. Whoa, Nora. That was a big statement. Think before you speak next time. Ah, this one looks good.”

I looked at the back of Nora’s very much pre-occupied figure with an amused grin on my lips and she continued to absentmindedly talk to herself while rummaging through her suffocating closet. I snapped back into focus when she turned around with a frown etched into her forehead. “Hello Ella, are you listening?”

“Hm? Oh yeah, I like that one a lot.” I answered on reflex.

Nora raised her eyebrow, and I instantly knew I was about to be caught in the act. “I asked why he wanted you to stay here until he picks you up.”

I smiled sheepishly. “Right. Um, I think he said something about wanting to pick me up the ‘traditional way’ and knock at someone’s door rather than just telling me to leave since we’re in the same room and all.”

“Oh no,” Nora groaned, dropping the blue dress that was in her grasp and pulling her hair up into a crooked pony tail, “They’re going to embarrass him.”

“Who?” I asked in confusion.

“This is the first time he’s ever really taken anyone out. He probably asked the guys for advice and they told him to do that. I’m going to call and tell him not to listen to anything they’ve told him to do.” She explained, finding her phone under two dresses she disregarded earlier.

“Wait, no!” I squeaked, jumping over the bed and grabbing the phone before she had the chance to contact him.

“What?” She asked, taking on my earlier look of confusion.

“Don’t tell him anything. I kind of want to see how this plans out.” I smirked, already liking the idea of Jackson giving Caleb dating advice.

Scarily, it was as if Nora could read my mind. “You really trust advice coming from Jackson to be Caleb’s bible for the evening?”

I shrugged and grinned, not wanting to say much on my liking towards the idea. “Speaking of Jackson, has he come to see you by any chance?”

She turned back to her wardrobe and continued to shuffle through her clothing when she responded. “Yeah, he came by this morning and sat with me until he had to go to class. He even brought me my favourite ice-cream and chips. That was thoughtful of him. I didn’t think he’d remember my favourite flavoured ice-cream. I’ve only mentioned it to him once; and it was close to when we had first met.”

“You’d be surprised what little details boys can pick up or remember.” I responded, thinking back to Caleb’s weird fetish with my underwear. “He’s actually kind of cute, isn’t he?”

“Who, Jackson?” Nora asked, turning back to me in surprise.

I nodded briefly, more interested in seeing her reaction to the comment. She frowned for a moment before looking down at the black shirt in her hands and shrugging. “I mean, I guess. I’ve never actually looked at him in that way.”

“Oh, right.” I responded, nodding in forged understanding.

“I mean, he’s kind of weird though. Don’t you think?” She spoke up, looking back up at me.

I stuck my bottom lip out and shook my head. “I don’t think so. I think he’s really cool to be around! And he’s funny. His girlfriend is going to be lucky girl.”

“Yeah.” She muttered absentmindedly, turning back to the wardrobe.

I smirked and sat back onto the bed while I waited for the wheels in her mind to continue to turn over the newly introduced topic.