Chapter 25

The beautiful chimes that danced across the ender sky almost made you forget about what you were supposed to be doing.

One minute, you were calming your freaked out crush because he was too overwhelmed by the fact that you shared the same feelings as him. The other, you were stressing about what you were really supposed to be doing.

Would Nikki be okay? Would Neil be able to take care of her long enough so that you can get back to camp and get help?

Looking down at Max's glistening eyes, you knew that the moment would only last for a little bit longer. After all, many good things must eventually come to an end.

"Are you ready to get going?" You say, gently squeezing Max's hand.

Max's turquoise irises looked down at you with a hopeful glisten - which then turned into a distraught glare. The sudden realisation of what you were really supposed to be doing made Max panic a little, and he nodded truthfully.

"Right. Yeah, I'm ready."

Your contact with Max's hand only breaks for a moment as the two of you stand up, slightly wincing at the pain.

"Oww—" You yelp, as a shot of pain runs down your leg. Apparently, it was badly injured - because it took a massive effort for you to stand back up again.
"You okay..?" Max said, helping you up just before you fell.

You look up at him with a slightly pained grin.

"I am now that you're here."
You both chuckle under your breath at the slight remark.

However, you were still injured, and it would be hard to ignore the wounds and bruises - but you needed to pull through for Neil and Nikki's sake.

It took a few minutes for the two of you to begin walking, as you were still shaken by the recent events. But in the end, you began to head to the left and continue walking on the path.

About halfway through the forest, Max stops and you turn your head. Seeing his dejected expression, your eyebrow raises.
"What's wrong?" You question.
"..I don't know."
"I don't know."
"I thought after confessing to you my bad feelings would go away."
Bad feelings?
"..But they haven't left. I'm still mad that Harrison kissed you. I'm still nervous that you'll hate me. I'm still..afraid I'll lose you to someone better than me."
As the tears welled up in his eyes, you saw the utter devastation that had taken control of his thoughts. You turn your body towards him and slowly pull him into another embrace.
"There's no need to feel that way, Max. I..love you, okay? I know it's cheesy, but I wouldn't ever leave you for anyone else."
Max sniffles and his tears begin to dissipate.
"..I know, but I can't stop myself from thinking that you'll leave me.."

You understood why Max was feeling that way. It was obvious he loved his parents, and from what you've been told, they dropped him off at camp and never came back. That would've been really hard to realise at his age. After finally finding someone to love, he'd obviously be awfully clingy and jealous. In a way, it was cute - but you knew that you'd have to help him in any way he could. He must've been really touch starved since then, so you'd have to make it your job to always give him affection when he felt down.

And that's exactly what you were going to do.

"Max, let's make a promise. Right here. Right now."
He looks up at you and releases you from the hug as you raise your pinky finger.
"We have to both promise to never leave each other, okay?"
He tilts his head.
"Why—"
"Just promise, okay? Pinky promise. I promise to never leave you."
Max raises his pinky and you both pinky promise, all the while gazing into each other's eyes.
"Your turn." You say, releasing your pinkies.
"..I promise to never leave you." He mumbles, and cracks a slight smile.

"Good."
"Now let's get going before Neil or Nikki dies."