Chapter 2

Paris

A girl in her mid twenties stood outside her company after a tiring day at work, waiting for a cab to reach home as soon as possible. She was late today than usual and she knew her family was waiting for her call as every other day.

After a few minutes, she successfully managed to hire a cab to her apartment. The moment she got into it, her phone started ringing and to her surprise it was her sister. A small smile crept up her lips thinking about her family. She answered it immediately, 'Di, I am on my way to the apartment. Shall I call you once I reach?'

'No Khushi! This is important', It was Pankhuri on the other side of the call.

Khushi panicked a little as Pankhuri never sounded desperate. She was always a calm girl, who understood everyone. Not impulsive and childish as herself!

'Di, is everything alright? Mama, Mami?' Khushi's panic was visible in her voice.

'Everyone is fine here. I have a very good and important news for you', Pankhuri chirped.

'Your tone says it all Di', Khushi chuckled at how well they knew each other.

'Then why dont you guess?' Asked an elated Pankhuri.

'Mmm..' Khushi kept thinking with her finger on the side of her cheek, as if her actions were visible to someone who was miles away. 'You got a promotion?' Asked Khushi after a deep thought of few seconds.

'Arre No Khushi! This is something much more than that!' Pankhuri urged. 'Let me give you a clue. This occasion requires your presence here and I suggest you must book your tickets right now'.

Khushi kept thinking all the possibilities and then finally gave up.

'Ok Di, I give up. I really dont know', pouted Khushi.

'I am getting married', screamed an excited Pankhuri to Khushi who had to literally distance her ears from her phone so as to avoid damage to her ear drums.

When she was sure that Pankhuri's excitement has toned down a bit, Khushi congratulated her. 'Wow! This is such a great news Di! I cannot even tell you how happy I am! By the way, who is the lucky guy?'

'You know him well Khushi. I am marrying my best friend after all!' Pankhuri declared.

'Best friend? You have only two best friends in the whole world Di! Adi and Arnav?' The moment she mentioned Arnav, it came out as a slow whisper, as if all her hopes and dreams have been crushed. As if her world was snatched away from her. The ground beneath her slipped. Her heartbeats were audible to her own ears, indicating the anxiousness that has built up inside her. All her senses came to a standstill.

'Hello, Khushi? You there?' Pankhuri inquired, as there was no response from her sister.

That brought Khushi out of her reverie, with silent tears flowing down her cheeks. Though she tried her best to sound normal, the next words were hardly audible to the one on the other side of the call. 'I am so happy for you Di. I never thought that you would marry him'.

'Destiny Khushi. We had been friends from childhood, but love never needs a perfect time to happen right? The same happened with us. We fell in love unknowingly and I am more than happy to tie a knot with him', Pankhuri said dreaming about her partner already.

'He.. he loves you too Di?' Khushi questioned only to curse herself for even asking such a question. They were getting married only because they love each other.

'Of course Khushi! Such a dumb question dumbo! Pack your bags and leave for the next flight to Delhi'. Pankhuri ordered.

Was it really necessary to go? Will she be able to handle the heartbreak again? Will she be able to face him again? This time as her sister's fiancee? But all that apart, it was her sister's marriage. And she can never deny the happiness that she was bestowed with. What if her own happiness was crushed once by the same person? She will endure any pain for the sake of her sister. Hence she replied, 'I will Di. I will.' She cut the call as she no longer had the strength and courage to face some harsh realities.