Surprise Motherfucker

We followed Carrot Head off to the side trying to slip away from the crowd before any of the demons saw us

We followed Carrot Head off to the side trying to slip away from the crowd before any of the demons saw us. Let me rephrase that we were being LEAD by Clary. Who in their right mind would willingly let Carrot lead anyone? Apparently us. Guess we're not exactly in our right minds though. Considering we just risked our lives going into the New York Police department that was crawling with downwolders to find some ridiculously big playing card that we were supposed to pull a cup out of, which is going to make the difference between quite possibly a war breaking out. Never thought I'd say.

We ended up only making it about ten feet away before we came to a locked metal door. "What's the unlocked rune again?" Carrot asked agitated. Girl, we ran for like thirty seconds.

Open sesame? "Open sesame." Jace said my own thoughts out loud, striding forward and knocking the door unlocked with a harsh kick. We all ran in following Jace, my hand griping onto Izzy's as we watched Clary and Jace's back. Desperately trying to figure out a way out.

Only to notice that Alec, who was behind us had stopped running. He had unruned his quiver and arrows and was drawing one already. "Alec, what are you doing?" I asked stopping as well, Izzy stopping along with me still holding my hand.

Carrot and Jace followed suit, Jace left Carrot's side instantly and joined his parabati. His eyes growing with concern. "Holding them off. Take Clary back to the institute." He nodded. Of course he was risking an inevitable defeat just for the sake of the mission.

"No," Jace shook his head his gold and blue eyes filling with determination as he stood in front of his parabai. "If you're staying I'm staying. We fight together." You know sometimes they're adorable.

"Don't be stupid. If the demons get the cup we're dead anyways." Alec waved Jace off, he was right. That didn't mean he should go on risking his life over something that we can all get out of safely.

"I'm not leaving anyone behind."

"You don't have a choice." Alec told Jace emotionlessly. There was no bit of hostility or even so much as fear in his voice. Right there in the dingy lit maze of metal, standing tall and determined Alec looked like the soldier his parents had trained him to be. Ready to do anything for the mission. "I'm in charge."

"I know you guys are having a moment, ok?" Carrot sassed out breaking the now silent debate between the parabati's who were showing their love towards each other by trying to protect the other. "But we have to go." Carrot's name should be Karen. God knows she acts like one.

"It's not their fault you don't have friends who love you." I rolled my eyes, pulling out a set of twin blades. Yeah, I switched out my double edge staff for this mission. "I'll stay with Alec." I smirked looking at my older brother, getting ready to fight besides him. Just like we used to when Izzy would be off shopping in Idris and Jace would be charming his way into the pants of our fellow Shadowhunters in training when we were younger.

Jace looked even more determined to stop us now. He opened his mouth to argue but Izzy beat him to it. "Don't worry it's not like it's the first time these two are going to save your life." She smirked, looking Alec and I up and down. "I doubt it'll be the last. Be careful." She nodded at us before going off with Carrot.

Carrot, Alec, and I strutted into the institute where everybody seemed to be rushing to get something done. The fight actually wasn't bad at all. Both Alec and I got out scratch free thanks to Luke who swooped in uninvitedly but very much appreciated. The pack helped with some Shax demons who were messing with Carrot, and we all made it to the institute rather quickly. To top it all off. She got the cup. Carrot deserves a sticker for today.

"I don't care what anybody else says." I heard Jace's voice coming from the briefing room. Apparently so did my other two companions because our little Jace Wayland fan club simultaneously made our way to the briefing room. "Clary is the only thing that matters." Yeah, fuck your family right?

"Jace!" Clary screeched completely leaving us and running straight into her knight in shining amour's arms. Her round elfish face burying comfortably in his chest as her arms held on to him for dear life. Jace looked taken aback but quickly hugged back with just as much vigor. His eyes closing softly as he breathed in her scent, a blissful smile on his face. It looked like he was completely and utterly whole.

I like to think I know Jace well. Better than Alec at times. I like to think I've seen him when he's at his happiest. As conceded as it sounds I also like to think that we bring out the best in each other. However, at that exact moment I can safely say I've never seen him that much at peace before. For a moment I didn't see a fierce warrior who's been killing demons since before he turned sixteen. Or a naive girl who lost her mother and was fighting against the forces of good and evil to get her back, for that matter. All I saw were to kids happy and relieved to be in each others arms.

I was happy for a precious moment at seeing Jace smile like that. Until I released it wasn't because of me. I wasn't the one he was hugging. For once I wasn't the only one he cared about. Just like that I felt the reality of all the careless actions I've done to lead him on, that and the ironic fate of Carrot waltzing into our lives cave into me.

They were talking, I'm not sure about what. I couldn't hear them, but they both seemed sincere and happy. Their happiness was what stood out the most to me, it felt like a slap to the face as cliche as it sounds. Then, only to make things worse Carrot grabbed Jace and they kissed. Right there, in front of all of us.

Oh by the way guys I made a steve harrington story. I'd really appreciate it if you would check it out. ❤️