Monologue

Jace and I stepped out of a little door that looked like it belonged in Alice in Wonderland and into the evidence room. The door was hardly tall enough to allow Jace to enter, but inside the evidence room was about the height of a warehouse. The architects  were probably on crack when designing this room. It was spacious and dark with shelves of evidence that were the height of like twenty Jessamines aka me.

"By the angel do you think there's rats in here?" I whispered feeling my anxiety rise, shuffling closer to Jace on instinct. Of course I don't think he'd be much help even if there were rats, because he's as much of a cry baby as me.

"It's an evidence room not King Tutt's tomb." He answered with an ever present aura of sarcasm, nudging me slightly away from him. Not bothering to even look at me as he inspected the boxes. Well, so much for the adorable moment we had like five minutes ago. "What are these, lunch receipts?" He questioned with a distasteful expression. "Who orders a salad from McDonalds?"

"They can spread over 35 different diseases." I mentioned monotonously looking at the dark corners where those little monsters could be hidden. Let me tell you there was a LOT.

"Jessie." He growled impatiently.

Wait. Jessie? What happened to Mine?

Just then we heard shuffling. Instantly we pressed ourselves against the selves of evidence and not even five seconds later a security guard strolled by flashing a light. "Shut it." Jace scolded me. His gold and blue eyes glaring coldly into mine and honestly I don't like it. I don't like him being mad at me. I don't like him being cold or distant. Or not wanting to talk about stupid and pointless theoretical events that could happen. I know I can't blame him for being such a dick after I lead him on, but it hurts for him to act like that.

Okay, that's enough of my cliche monologuing for today let's get back to the action. Jace froze, his mouth slightly agape when he realized how close to each other we were. In the midst of us scrambling to camouflage with the boxes like lizards, we had ended up pressed up against each other. Jace was behind me and our faces were only a few inches apart. My back pressed to his chest to the point where I could feel his agitated heartbeat. His hands protectively gripping my forearms, and his hot breath tickling my neck.

By the angel this is as cringy and inconvenient as Twilight. I love Twilight don't get me wrong. Mysterious vampires and hot werewolves are totally my thing, but come on literally every scene with Bella and her boy toys it looks like one of them is a sexual predator.

"Ahm," Jace cleared his throat and I stepped away, "just focus."

I rolled my eyes. Yeah sure, and I'd appreciate it if he stopped looking at my lips every five minutes. "I am." I gave him a smug closed lip smile while stepping past him. Walking to the end of the shelf and picking up a box with Luke's name on it. "Got it." I smirked looking through it. "You'd think they'd make finding dangerous incriminating evidence a little harder to find."

I picked through the objects carefully, making sure not to make any noise. The first things in there were two pictures of Carrot Head and her mom. Luke and her were definitely fuck buddies. Also, come on that's a little sad. Who wants to see a picture of Carrot Head every single morning while helping enforce the power of a corrupt governmental system? Huh?

"This could take all day." Jace sighed exasperatedly, leaning sassily against the self and towering over me with unamused eyes. I shot him a glare and turned the box upside down, dumping everything and raising my eyebrows expectantly. "Or you could just do that." He spoke just as sarcastically but I could tell he was fighting off the ghost of a smirk.

"Cards right?" Jace hummed in confirmation and I shuffled through the small deck of cards. "Holy shi-"

"It looks just like the Mortal Cup." Jace stated a bit breathless. Why he was breathless? I don't know. I guess I just take his breath away. Ha! I crack myself up.

I instantly tapped it like Carrot Head had instructed us to but nothing happened. "This has to be it." Jace frowned from besides me.

"Yeah well it's not working." I hissed my fingers probing the card for any sort of hidden opening that could give us the cup. "Maybe only Carrot can take it out." I rushed out, my nerves peaking.

My future depended on this stupid dish. If we found the Cup then the Lightwood name would be restored and I wouldn't have to marry. There's no way this isn't it.

"Here let me see." Jace hissed back just as anxious. I semi-handed it to him and he semi-snatched it from me and poked the center of the card. Big shocker, nothing happened.

"Wow why didn't I do that? Oh wait I did." I deadpanned rolling my eyes and snatching the card from him, shoving it in my shirt. "Carrot will know how to do it."

"You seriously think Clary will know what to do?" He asked me unimpressed. Dang, not even Jace thinks she's useful.

I shrugged already making my way back out. "Oh have a little faith in her. She's your pet after all. Let's hope you've trained her well."

.

"Did you get it?" Alec asked as soon as he saw us walk out.

"Nope." I popped the p and gave them a light smile. At the same time Jace answered, "theoretically."

"No?" Carrot screech storming up to me, her green eyes angrily vivid and her hair slightly messed up as if she had been running her hands through it. "And you call yourself a better shadowhunter than me! I would've gotten it."

"Hey!" Izzy piped up, stepping up to Carrot defensively.

I rolled my eyes pushing Clary roughly away from me. "Do me a favor and take mint." I narrowed my icy blue eyes at her and she instantly covered her mouth embarrassed. "And you are going to get the cup."

"We found the card but we couldn't get it out. Jessamine thinks you can." Jace explained stepping in between us trying calm down the situation. His hand gently caressing Carrot's shoulder as he turned his back on me. I don't know if what I was feeling was sadness or disgust. All I knew is I'm going to hurt both of them if they keep being this gross.

"Yeah, we'll chat in the institute." Alec broke us all apart strictly walking forward leaving us to follow. "You two just stole from government officials, we should leave quickly." Sure because saying cops is so much harder.

"I think the cops are the least of our problems." Izzy sing songed looking down at her pulsing necklace, an innocent smile of her pretty face. My parabati is whole as crackhead, why is she so happy?

"Great." I hummed stuffing my hands into the pockets of my jacket. "They're fashionably late." I searched the perimeter seeing the eyes of a policeman light up.

Jace stifled a chuckle, his hand going to grab Carrot Head's arm. "What? I don't see any demons." She screeched out. I swear her voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard. I never thought I would use that metaphor but the more time I spend with her the more I disappoint even myself.

We all passed Carrot, who was still peering at the people surrounding us. In the midst of her distraction she walked straight into a tiny old lady in a pink cardigan and a beige dress. Her white hair bounced back and forth as Carrot shoulder slammed her. Damn Clary real is picking on people her own size. Well, I probably shouldn't be making fun of her height considering I'm shorter. "I'm so sorry ma'am-" Clary stop mouth agape as the woman seemed to tell her something.

I was too far to actually see what was going on, but I saw Jace quickly go up to the pair and give the woman a hug. In the midst of the embrace I saw a glimmer of vibrant white light. I screwed my eyes shut and opened them again only to blink a few times. Just in time to see the women disappear into thin air. "Shit."