risk.

[kaycee's phone]

Yesterday 7:28 PM

Shamu Wilson 🐳
hey kayc :)

Sean Lew! What's up?

Shamu Wilson 🐳
are you sleeping over tomorrow? my parents are out.

Yeah ofc !

Shamu Wilson 🐳
cool just making sure

Can i ask you something tmw?

Shamu Wilson 🐳
i got something to tell you btw

whoa

did we txt that at the same time

🤯 WHOA! We did!!

Shamu Wilson 🐳
😂 freakishly connected

let's tell each other tmw before sleeping

Okay! 😊😂

See you tmw lewser

Shamu Wilson 🐳
see ya dood :)

-

[sean's phone]
Today 5:55 PM

kayc i'm here

kayc

kayc

kayc

kaycee rice

i'm outside

KAYCEEE

:(

dance dood kaycee rice👼
Omg sorry! Im walking out right now i just had to get my stuff

ok no worries 😂

i'm in the white car this time btw

dance dood kaycee rice👼
Okeydokey 😊

And stop honking ur gonna annoy my neighbors

read 5:10 pm

-

kaycee felt that the car ride to sean's house was uncharacteristically awkward. after the lax greetings the two shared when kaycee first entered his car, sitting shotgun, silence befell them immediately. for some reason, they couldn't bring themselves to talk about anything in particular. in a normal mood, silences between the two were dealt with no issues. it was comfortable and happened naturally; even the most extroverted people run out of energy and the two of them were no exception. but as sean drove from her house to his, kaycee found it increasingly difficult to come up with a topic that didn't feel inappropriate or sensitive to the tension at hand.

she knew why there was tension. she was sure he did too.

there were two statements hanging in the air, begging to be answered.

kaycee eyed him from the passenger's seat. to an acquaintance, sean seemed to be simply focused on driving like the responsible, licensed teen he was. but to kaycee, his posture was too stiff, arms too straight with both hands precisely gripping 9 and 3, eyes straining straight forward. it clearly wasn't his normal 'one-hand-driving, one-hand-scrolling-spotify, all-while-holding-conversation'  demeanor.