Chapter Eight: Emergency Meeting

~Ashlie's POV~

My eyes snapped open as a spark went off in my mind, alerting me that one of my protective spells had been triggered. Eyes wide, I scrambled out of bed and grabbed the staff that was propped against the wall by my bed. Muttering a small spell, I willed the tip of the staff to start glowing, casting a small orange-yellow light. As I crept to the door leading to my workshop, I could hear two hushed voices arguing.

"Ow, that hurts!"

"Shh, lower your voice, someone's gonna hear us!"

"Stop moving, you're kicking me!"

"I'm not trying to -just- stop struggling!"

The arguing sounded familiar and I groaned as I stood up and walked into the other room. By the door hung a tangled mess of two people, trapped in a magic net that had sprung from the ceiling. They were too busy arguing to notice my approach. I sighed, crossing my arms and tapping my foot impatiently.

"Would either of you two morons care to explain what you're doing here at this ungodly hour?" I held my staff out to them, causing Nick and Jon to squint and recoil from the bright light.

"Ashlie!" Jon called out happily. "Er- would you mind letting us down?"

I rolled my eyes and tapped the butt of my staff against the floor, causing the ropes to release their prisoners and retreat back into the ceiling. Nick and Jon fell to the floor in a pile of tangled limbs and a few grunts of pain. Nick sat up and groaned, rubbing his wrists and straightening his glasses.

"Jon, next time you sneak into the barracks in the middle of the night in order to drag me along on an adventure... please don't."

"Sorry, bud." Jon wheezed, closing his eyes as he felt around the floor for his glasses. "I know you're mad, but would you mind getting off of me?"

Nick stood up, dusting off his sleeping shirt as Jon gasped for breath. I sighed and bent down to pick up Jon's glasses and then pressed them into the crosseyed jesters hand. Because of his crossed eyes, he really couldn't see a thing without his glasses, which were enchanted with some powerful illusionary magic.

"Thank you." Jon squeaked as he put them on and blinked.

"You're welcome. Now why are you here?" I asked, glaring at my friend as he stood up. I was too tired to be mad, but that wasn't going to stop me from trying.

"I'm calling an emergency meeting! I need to tell the group something and it's really important!"

I yawned. "Too important to wait until morning?"

Jon nodded vigorously.

"Can't you just tell me now?"

"No, I have to tell everyone at once, this is super important!"

"So you've said." I mumbled. I glanced at Nick who just shrugged and gave me a tired smile. I sighed and looked back at Jon.

"You're not gonna leave until I agree to come with you, right?"

"Yep!"

I looked at him wearily. "Fine, just let me grab my robe."

The boy clapped his hands and gave me a quick hug which I returned.

"Thanks, Atlie! We'll wait for you outside!"

I chuckled to myself as Jon grabbed Nick and rushed him outside of the room. I quickly walked back into my bedroom and grabbed my robe, throwing it on over my pajamas. I then grabbed my slippers and made my way out into the chilly hall where Nick and Jon were waiting. I tapped my staff three times against my door, setting some defence spells that would alert me if anyone tried to enter.