"Come, child," boomed a deep, wise voice. The tree moved as it spoke, groaning as it shifted. It loomed over the sword.

Link's heart beat hard against his chest.

He knew...he knew where he was. He just couldn't believe it.

He stepped forward, up the pedestal and before the Great Deku Tree, the guardian of the blade.

"Mmm," the tree hummed. "Tell me your name, boy."

Link took a deep breath. "Link."

The koroks around the clearing all gasped. A wave of chatter broke out.

"Hm. I see. Do you know where you are?"

"The Korok Forest."

"So you must know what it means that you have found this place."

Link nodded.

The Great Deku Tree frowned. "You are young. I sense you have made your way to the sword a bit sooner than intended."

"Mr. Hero!" A korok shouted in delight. "It's Mr. Hero!"

Link tensed.

The Deku Tree watched him. "Are you going to try, boy? Are you going to pull out the sword that seals the darkness? I may warn you, only the Hero can take the sword. The spirit inside chooses a master that has true courage. The Hero must use the sword to slay Ganon, and protect Hyrule. It is a lifelong, heavy burden. Unfortunately because you have made your way here, I fear the prophecy is upon us and Calamity Ganon will awaken soon. You are faced with a difficult decision. There will be consequences for you if you do pull the sword, and there will be consequences if you do not. It is up to you, child." The tree closed his eyes. The koroks around the Forest were all silent.

Link looked down at the sword that seals the darkness, the sword of legend, the Master Sword. Ten thousand years ago the Hero wielded this sword against the Calamity and struck it down. The Princess's heavenly power, given to her by the goddess Hylia, sealed him for eternity.

Until another prophecy foretold that the Calamity would break free of the seal someday, and when that time came, the Hero would be reborn and pull free the Master Sword. He and the Princess, using her golden power, would once again seal Ganon away.

By choosing to pull the sword, Link could be making that prophecy true.

But he didn't feel like a hero. He wasn't good or special--he could fight well, but that was due to endless training.

How could Link, just the son of the Captain of the Royal Guard, possibly bear the triforce of courage?

By not choosing the sword, Link could be damning Hyrule to destruction.

He knew what he must do.

Link would rather risk his life than Hyrule's.

He wrapped his small hands around the hilt built for a grown man and pulled with all his strength.

He didn't stop. He braced his feet in the ground and he used every individual muscle in his body and he pulled. He pulled and pulled and pulled.

Nothing.

Just when he was about to give up, it gave, just a little.

As Link's heart plummeted, as he fought to pick up this enormous burden, he thought to himself, if the sword came free, he would do everything in his power to live up to it. He would become the perfect knight.

He would slay Calamity Ganon.

With every inch the sword gave, the more energy it stole from Link. By the time it finally  separated from the pedestal and sent him sprawling, his body was trembling and drenched in sweat. He lay on his back, the sword of legend held tight in his two handed grip and the weight of the nation on his shoulders.

The Deku Tree gave a sad sigh. Koroks approached him from all around.

Link sat up slowly. His fists were wrapped so tightly around the hilt that they unstuck like plaster.

"Dear child, the sword has chosen you to wield it into battle with Calamity Ganon. You must use this blade to protect Hyrule. Do you understand this?" The Deku Tree said.

He stood shakily. "Yes," he said, gripping the sword against his chest.

"When you are older, return to this Forest. There is much to tell you, but I shall wait until you are grown. For now, become strong, and keep the sword with you always."

As Link turned around, the koroks either waved goodbye or gave him a small pat on his leg, some saying, "Bye, Mr. Hero!"

Link, at the very least, left the Woods with the experience he had been searching for, and a new sword in tow. When he left the Korok Forest, he had walked with his head down and his mind on the future. After a few moments inside the white fog, his head went light and his body felt as if it were being lifted by air. He opened his eyes and found himself back at the stone ruins at the entrance to the Lost Woods.

There was no one else there, and as Link stood, he found that dawn was approaching.

Dawn, and a terrifying future.