CHAPTER 2: ACCEPTANCE and EXPATRIATION

The culprit fire bellows within our sin, our heat, our perfect moment a bud both carried now to foment that sweetest poison.

A potion intact.

For a moment, I thought it was romantic, like we’re in some kind of a movie. The setting is ideal, the acting’s great, and everything was perfect. >…< stop.

It’s my first kiss. I hadn’t realized it until now that I was running away from that boy. I touched my lips with my index finger lightly feeling the sensation that I have discerned.

Well, not that I mind. It just… just happened so suddenly. I didn’t even think that I would kiss anyone. Anyway, I’m not that ugly. I have an average black hair, average body-I think so., average height which is flat 5 ft. high, nothing special and some of the boys are actually scared of me, so it didn’t really cross my mind that I would be kissed… like that. So gentle and yet, it makes me feel so puny.

Never before have I felt weak like that and I’m never gonna let that happen all over again. It’s too precarious I could get hurt.

It’s okay. I wouldn’t see him anyway. He’s studying in Brookwell. I wouldn’t even probably see him coincidentally; I mean Brookwell is not your ordinary school. It’s Ginormous. I would get out of there right after the exam and the interview is over. The odds will be against it. Great! >.<

It has gotten really dark before I reach my house. I opened the gate and walk along the path. My home is too big for me and nanny. Mom insisted to buy this 2 story modern house with 5 bedrooms that has its own bathroom each, a maid’s quarter, a library and etc. Like I said, my mom is working in Paris as a designer. She’s so famous that every day she has an order from famous people. She visits me here for like twice a year-my birthday and the day after that, but I completely understand if she’s so busy that she doesn’t even have a time for her only daughter. I’m pretty much happy though. Two times a year is better than absolutely not seeing each other.

Nanny wouldn’t scold me, she’d understand. I unbolt the door and saunter through the kitchen. She’s always there making things for me. It’s like her sacred dwelling place. Ohhh nanny.

My room is always so clean and comfy because Nanny always cleans it before I have the chance to mess it up. It’s as big as the masters’ bedroom where my mom is supposed to sleep.

After I reached my room, I threw my heavy backpack in the floor get the phone and lurch in my very comfy queen size bed. How I love to just bask around here.

I dialed my moms’ number and called. There are a few rings and then she finally picked up. After a very long discussion, I’m beginning to feel unusually dead beat. So, I finally gave up.

“I’m sorry okay? It’s just that… well… I’m a trouble magnet. There’s nothing to worry about mom. I’m perfectly capable enough to handle myself.” I say trying to end this niggling conversation.

She kept on talking and blah blah blah… man she’s annoying. I just fell silent until she said “Ran, are you listening to me? Hey!”

“Er…uh… yeah…”she caught me there.

“Well, I don’t think so, but, I will repeat it for you. You will still transfer at Brookwell and that is FINAL!” she emphasized the word ‘FINAL’ as if to make it real clear. “Nothing will change my mind of your transferee, but if you behaved properly for a year like any normal teenager would then I would reconsider my thoughts and maybe you can go back to Lilian High.”

“Yeah! Whatever!” I say trying to sound a bit bored and yet at the same time agitated.

“OKAY! So we’ve made a deal. No unnecessary fights, No failing grades, and by the way, you must join a CLUB! So, you’re mind will be focused on something other than warfare.”

“What?? I won’t join any freaking club. Staying out of trouble is hard enough and now this?? Anyway… what if I fail the interview?”

There’s silence at the end of the phone…wow… I must’ve upset her.

“Then, you would come here to Paris with me.” Talk about harsh. “So, are we clear? I got to go now sweetie. I have lots of work. Ciao”

Instinctively I get out of bed as I used to and prepare for school. Today will be my entrance test at Brookwell High. Failing is not an option.

My nanny crept up in my room as I was about to stand.

“Goodie. You’re awake already. You’re mom say’s you have to look presentable so this is what you’ll wear.” She showed me an elegant light pink dress hanging in a hanger, it’s not too formal for parties, and it’s more like a dress that rich, beautiful, elegant teenagers wear. I’m not really into dresses or physical appearance but from the looks of it, it must’ve cost a fortune.

Nanny slings it and she left leaving me with privacy.

Never in my entire life would I wear something this…girly. But, I can’t let mom know that I didn’t comply with her plans or else my easy-going life here would be finished. So, I wore it and put some shirts and pants in my backpack.

Brookwell is so huge. It must be double the size of Lilian. I’m sure that it’ll be easy for me to enter this school. The exams are not that hard and I’m sure the interviewer was kind of amazed in my performance. Getting in here will be easy but saying goodbye wouldn’t be good. Maggie. I’m missing her already.

As I walk quite absorbed with my thoughts, I didn’t realize that there was a ball coming from the field… and guess what? It’s about to hit me. I dodged it easily, but then… an innocent girl was about to be smacked by it in my place. I felt compassion for her, so, I kicked the ball towards the field.

I didn’t realize it until the ball stopped rolling, that everyone watching and passing through has gone silent, even the players. They were all looking at me. As I scan the crowd, I have seen the guy who kissed me yesterday. He was also looking at me like the rest of them but his face wasn’t at all shocked or speechless. Instead, he was GRINNING.

Then, as if on cue, when his gaze met mine and our eyes have locked, all the image of yesterday’s events have all flashed back, and I have felt weak again.