Chapter 十二

Tai Lung hesitated before sighing in defeat. He knew that he had caused enough trouble for today. Shifu had every right to be mad. 

"Okay, fine," he told the masters. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I just...I didn't handle things the way I ought to have."    He turned to leave. "I'll just...hang around in case I need to fix something." 

The masters watched him walk towards the door of the training hall, some still surprised by his not being dead. Out of nowhere, a metal staff hit the snow leopard on the back and caused him to immediately fall down unconscious. Everyone turned to look at Master Shifu who straightened up from his throwing position. 

"My sentiments exactly," he replied before turning his attention back to the unconscious Tigress.

"That seemed a little unfair," Crane piped up. 

Shifu and the other more conscious masters turned to look at him, causing the avian to shrink back for a second. "Unfair?" Shifu repeated flatly with a less-than-pleased face. 

"W-well...a little, yes," Crane continued in a quieter tone. "I mean, don't get me wrong, he was a terrible person who deserved to be Wuxi Fingered. But he seemed...very compliant." 

Shifu simply gave the master a cold hard stare before looking back at Tigress and watching Mantis check for injuries. The room fell into an uncomfortable silence for about a minute before Mantis broke it with, "He did seem apologetic."

"That is true though," Viper agreed. "He seemed really sorry for the mess and he looked really concerned about Tigress' injuries." 

"I guess it was nice that he helped pull her out of the rubble," Po reminisced. 

"Wait a minute though!" Monkey interrupted. "If he's so nice now, then why were you and Tigress fighting him?"

"I fought him because I saw him fighting Tigress and thought she was in trouble! And he seemed kinda' cocky, like before, so I just...you know, assumed the worst." 

Another silence fell back over the training hall as everyone contemplated what to do. Finally, Master Shifu spoke back up and said, "We'll deal with Tai Lung later. For now, I'd like to focus on Tigress and any potential injuries she may have." 

Mantis, who had been examining the master the entire length of the conversation, took the opportunity to avoid anymore awkward moments popping up. "She seems okay, minus a broken shoulder and a concussion. I can pinpoint where all the cracks are, but we'll need a doctor from the village to bring the right setting tools." 

Shifu sighed. "Of course." he muttered. "Po, please help Tigress to her room. Mantis, go with him. Crane and Monkey, you two stay here and guard Tai Lung. Viper, you fetch the guards in case he's truly up to no good. I'll fetch the doctor from town." 

The masters all bowed and silently did as they were instructed.

Hours later, Tigress was laying on her stomach on her bed to take pressure off her shoulder blade. She was unconscious for a while, giving Shifu plenty of time to deal with Tai Lung. He wasn't to be hauled off to Chorh Gom. Rather, he was to be temporarily kept in the Jade Palace dungeon with his arms and legs specially bound to keep him from escaping. Afterwards, Po and Mantis were asked to help keep guard while the remaining masters slept to rotate shifts with the guards Viper had brought. The doctor who set Tigress' shoulder had instructed everyone to let her sleep. By the time the master had roused from her long slumber though, it was clear that someone had broken the rule. 

Tigress squirmed a bit, feeling a bit of pain go up her right side. "What are you doing in here?" she asked curiously. 

"I'm concerned about your health, naturally," Shifu replied with a casual shrug. "Doctor rules aside." 

Despite the pain, Tigress smirked. "I thought rules were in place to maintain balance and order, Grandmaster," she teased.

"Unless the people you love could use some psychological reassurance, my young student," came the response. He got up from his meditative position on the floor and walked over to Tigress. Gently squeezing her good arm, he asked "How are you feeling?"

"My right side hurts a bit. And my heads hurts, but nothing else aside from that. I'm assuming, since I'm on my stomach, that something's wrong?" 

"Your right shoulder was fractured in two spots, so the doctor wants you laying down as much as possible to heal it more efficiently." 

"I see."    Tigress squirmed a bit to get more comfortable before asking her own question. "What happened to Tai Lung? Did he scamper away or is he as hurt as me?" 

"Tai Lung seems to be in perfect health as far as I could tell unfortunately. He's secured tight in the dungeon for now until we can determine what he wants." 

"Wait...you actually want to know what he's here for?" 

"I don't, but the others do. I told them since they want to chit chat with the man responsible for the near destruction of the valley, they can help guard him." 

"Sounds fair enough. He did tell me he wasn't here for the Dragon Scroll, but who knows what he's really after." 

"That doesn't matter. For now, I'm just glad that you're alright." 

He gave her a kiss on the cheek which caused Tigress to smile for the first time all night.

"So what am I supposed to do then?" Tigress asked. "Since I'm supposed to be in here alone?"

"No idea. The doctor seems to think you need to sleep off your injuries, so I imagine you're probably supposed to drift back off to sleep."

"Do I look tired?"

"Not even in the slightest." 

Tigress rolled her eyes. "I got knocked unconscious from falling training equipment," she said. "I didn't pass out from being in too much pain." 

"No, but sleep allows your body to rest and recover." 

"If that's the case, thank you for delaying my recovery process." 

Shifu laughed. "You underestimate my skills, my dear," he replied. The grandmaster gently stroked the back of Tigress' head. getting her to relax enough to snuggle into her pillow. After a few minutes, Tigress finally fell back to sleep and Shifu took leave of the room before the doctor caught him.

THE END

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE FINISHED READING ENDING 21.