[Seven]

Today is the sixth of October 2012. Yesterday was the day that the doctors had estimated that Amelia was supposed to die. But she didn’t. She is still here with us. The doctors say that it’s a miracle she lived through the night, and not to get our hopes up.

They checked her over this morning, and told us that her body is shutting down at a rapid rate, and we should get ready to say our goodbyes.

I left for a few hours, to give her a chance to spend some alone time with her parents, and say goodbye. She didn’t want them to be here to watch her die. She said that a parent should never have to see their child die.

I wandered around the grounds of the hospital, thinking about these past two weeks. I noticed how weak, and tired she was becoming as the days went by, and how scared she was. I wish that I could have taken all of her pain away, and put it all on myself.

I was trying so hard to be strong for her, but it only got more difficult as the days went on. When she had given me the diary to read, I had waiting until she was asleep, because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to hold in my tears, and sobs, when I read it.

Even now, as I hold her in my arms, I’m finding it difficult to remain strong.

I could feel her getting weaker; her limbs becoming limper, as I continued to twirl us around the room, to the beat of Celine Dion’s ‘Because You Loved Me’, with Amelia standing on my toes.

I kept her right hand clasped in mine, and held on tight, in an attempt to warm her ice cold skin, and keep her upright. I tried not to think about what I knew was happening right now, because I knew that I wouldn’t be able to handle it.

Instead, I focused on the sound of her soft, laboured breathing, which was in sync with my own beating heart. I stopped for a moment, and hooked a finger under her chin, tilted her head up, and kissed her dry, pale lips softly, and sweetly. Although they were dry, her lips were as soft as ever.

Memorising the taste, and feel, of her lips on mine, I closed my eyes, and once again put my arm around her, and pressed my hand against her lower back, keeping her body pressed up against mine.

As I continued to twirl us around the room, I was brought back to just a month ago, when we were at out high school formal. She looked so beautiful; her dark skin in contrast to the light peach colour of her floor length dress, the bright flashing lights causing her skin to glow in the most stunning manner, and her coal coloured hair, cascading down her back in soft natural waves.

Even now, as her skin looks so pale that it’s almost white, her small wisps of hair that remained, and the knee length hospital gown, I thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world.

I felt her turn her head slowly, and place a soft kiss on my chest, causing tingles to run through my body, and causing a shudder of pleasure to run through me.

I kissed the top of her head, and twirled my way to the other side of the room. As I felt her body weaken even further, I tightened my grip on her. I tried to keep myself composed and calm, not wanting to upset her, and wanting to remain strong for her, but I couldn’t help the small tear that escaped, and made its way down my cheek.

When I had asked her if there was anything I could do for her, she said that all she wanted, was to dance with me one last time. I was reluctant at first, not wanting her to get out of the bed, but when I looked in her eyes, I couldn’t refuse her.

As the song playing softly in the background ended, I whispered sweet nothings in her ear, and told her that I would always love her, no matter what.

I glanced down at her just in time to get a look at her beautiful smile, and one last look at her eyes, which were sparkling like her shoes had at our wedding despite the situation, before they slowly slipped closed, and she took her last shuddering breath. I kissed her lips one last time, and just held her in my arms, allowing myself to sob.

----------

Okay, so here is the last chapter *tear*, regardless of the sadness in this story, I have really enjoyed writing it, and I'm insanely happy with how it turned out. All the comments and votes so far have been amazing and I truly appreciate them. 

V o t e | C o m m e n t | F o l l o w

~Alyssa