Chapter 19

Thor knew exactly where to find the device on the wall to remove the barrier to the prison, and where the guards kept the keys to unlock the combination for Loki's cell. It only took minutes, but Thor still felt on edge. Though the guards were given an hour to be off duty, that didn't mean they wouldn't come back early for whatever reason. Even when they cleared the prison his eyes were ever wandering the halls on the lookout for guards. Loki didn't even try to blend in at the moment, walking alongside him with an almost carefree nature. He redressed in his Asgardian clothing, cleaning and bandaging his feet inside the boots, and even attempted to comb back his hair so it looked a little more presentable. Yet it began to annoy Thor how his brother didn't seem to take this seriously. They could be discovered at any moment if not careful and Loki wasn't watching. Just grinning like a child who had gotten the present he always wanted.

"This is so unlike you, brother," Loki spoke with glee. "So clandestine. Are you sure you wouldn't rather just punch your way out?"

"You keep speaking, I just might," he muttered. They couldn't cause a scene or make a racket otherwise that would not only alert the guards, but Odin himself.

"Fine, as you wish," Loki said, holding up his hands. "I'm not even here." In the blink of an eye his form altered before taking on the shape of a random royal guard member. "Is this better?"

The god rolled his eyes. "It's better company at least."

Loki shrugged. "Still, we could be less conspicuous."

Before Thor could protest to that statement he transformed again, reverting to his natural form, while Thor's shifted to take on the appearance of Sif.

"Hmm, brother," Loki hummed teasingly, "you look ravishing."

Glancing down in confusion to what he was getting at, the prince's steps faltered for a moment. Clenching his teeth in annoyance, he did not stop and sent a glare in Loki's direction.

"It will hurt no less when I kill you in this form," Thor threatened, unamused.

"Very well," Loki sighed. "Perhaps you prefer one of your new companions? Given that you seem to like them so much."

Thor was pleased when seeing himself turn back to normal, but one glance in his brother's direction caused him to frown further. He transformed into Steve Rogers of Midgard, completely dressed in uniform without his mask and holding the infamous shield. Loki seemed to be enjoying himself even more, examining his buff arms and the shield in hand with approval.

"Oh, this is much better."

It was completely off putting though because while he looked like the Captain, it sounded like the trickster.

"Ooh. The costume's a bit much. So tight. But with confidence I feel the righteousness surging." Turning so he walked backwards, Loki continued to taunt Thor and his voice only rose with every sentence. "Hey, do you want to have a rousing discussion about truth? Honor? Patriotism? God bless Amer–"

Without any warning Thor gripped his brother around the neck, cutting off any other words coming out of his mouth and dragged him behind a pillar. Forcing the trickster against the marble caused the illusion to break as a grunt escaped Loki's lips from the action before Thor's other hand covered his mouth. Glaring, the disgraced prince stared down his brother, no longer amused by the action as he fought to have the palm remove. Only when the prince knew the criminal wasn't going to say anything else to jeopardize them did the hand pull away as he continued to peek out from behind the pillar.

"What?" Loki spat.

The roughness hardly necessary in his mind. He was only having a bit of fun. Loki followed his brother's eyes as they watched as two guards marched down the connecting hall and through another archway. Loki nearly gave them away as Thor waited a few seconds longer before continuing in the opposite direction and let go of his neck.