Chapter 3

[Anya in the picture]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The further Anya traveled the harder it became to not panic in some way. There were no doorways to travel through, no signs to lead her back to the building, and there were no sounds. Except the soft clicking of her boots against the rock. And the fact that it remained so silent was unnerving. Anything could attack at any time, which made Anya certain that whatever would lurk here wouldn't be human. Or resemble any beast she was accustomed to handling.

In that silence the young woman finally heard it. At first one would assume the noise came from an unoiled hinge to a swinging door. Yet with each turn as it grew louder it sounded like something was screeching. A red glow lit up the darkness, the brightest point up ahead. The agent pressed her back against the cool rock and took a deep breath. The gun in hand pulled up near a cheek and faced the ceiling at the ready. Whatever made that sound was around the bend. It could honestly be anything. And if it was glowing... that wasn't promising.

No more hesitation, no more delays. Anya turned the corner swiftly pointing the weapon in the direction of the looming threat. But there was nothing there. Not a form at least, just more dark rocks. The glow, however, came from between two slabs as the young woman slowly approached. The gap wasn't exactly at eye level when she came upon it. The agent slightly crouched to glance inside. The way it glowed one would think it belonged to an orb of some sort. There was an almost black substance floating around it, twisting and turning slowly in the tight space. One would assume it was liquid, maybe oil, only more menacing in appearance. Its whole presence felt off as Anya slowly backed away. She had to find a way out and not waste any more time.

Pain shot through the fingertips quickly drawing back her hand. Some of the matter inside escaped and creeped along the edge of the structure. She was bleeding, cursing under her breath from the pain that lingered. That was the least of her worries though as the thing attacked again. This time completely leaving its confines, glow and all.

Anya yelped, as it seemed to latch onto her chest. Dropping the gun, the young woman clawed at the uniform to get it off. Her gift went wild as multiple mirages flickered all over the space and copied her panicked actions as they came in and out of focus. It was no use though as this foreign being seemed to dissolve through the material of her uniform leaving her to grasp at nothing. She could feel it passing through the skin crying out from the horrible sensation that rushed over her. There was power, so much power as the young woman began seeing red, gray pupils matching the color as an aura surrounded her. It grew suffocating as Anya lost consciousness sinking to the knees before falling to the rocky ground limp.