'Home' at Last

In Daryl's cell, Lottie sat cross-legged on the mattress Daryl had lay on the floor. He sat opposite her while she quietly retold how she ended up where she did.

"Merle?" Daryl almost shouted.

"Yes, he snuck me out and helped me escape," Lottie said gently "He only asked one thing of me.."

"What's that?" Daryl replied grumpily.

"That I put in a good word for him, he wants to rejoin the group." She said quietly.

Daryl thought about this. "The others won't like that," he said. "They don't like him at all."

"He knows that, that's why he asked me to talk to them. Do you even think I could make a difference?" She asked doubtfully.

Daryl looked at Lottie, her bruise still painful and her physique still too skinny. He sighed and looked away. "If he hadn't gotten you out, who knows what this "Governor" would have done to you. Your word has to count for something right?"

"Hopefully."

The silence lingered for a moment before Hershel appeared by the cell door.

"I thought I'd take a look at that bruise, looks painful." Hershel said gently.

Lottie nodded slightly and Hershel crouched down at the end of the mattress, she sat in front of him while he checked her face.

"Can I talk to Lottie alone please Daryl?" Hershel asked quietly.

Daryl nodded and left the cell, Hershel waited until he heard Daryl walk down the metal stairs before continuing.

"So, how do you feel being back?" Hershel asked.

"I don't know, I know it's been a year but it's so different. Daryl's so distant and nervous, and everyone was just shocked to see me." Lottie ranted quietly.

Hershel nodded, still crouched in front of her. "I'll admit, Daryl was the only person who thought you were alive. He was just coming to terms with the possibility that you could be gone. He wasn't expecting you either and yet he was the first person to realise it was you beyond the fence." He smiled.

Lottie thought for a second. "Why is he being so distant though?"

"Give him time, I think he feels guilty for not being able to look for you. Rick wouldn't let him go alone." Hershel said sadly "No one would let him go."

"I guess that makes sense." Lottie sighed. She started to shiver from the cells cold concrete walls.

Hershel smiled sympathetically. "You're home at last Lottie, your face will heal well and so will the group...hopefully."

Noticing Lottie's confused expression, Hershel perched on the mattress next to her to explain everything that had happened since she'd been gone.

He explained how Lori had been pregnant and had passed away giving birth to her daughter Judith, named by Carl. Hershel also added that Daryl had nicknamed her 'little ass-kicker'.

Hershel told Lottie about a newcomer called Michonne who had saved Andrea but that Andrea had preferred to stay behind with the Governor. Lottie then explained to Hershel how Merle was still alive and that he thought it was Andrea who had told the Governor that she knew Rick and that's what started the imprisonment, that Merle then saved her from.

It was then that Daryl re-appeared by the cell door, looking genuinely calm and happy for the first time that day.

"Foods ready, bet you're hungry?" Daryl grinned sarcastically.

Lottie jumped to her feet, "Like you would not believe!" They all giggled.

The three of them made their way down to the large circular table in the next room, Daryl and Lottie grabbed a plate of food from Carol, who gave Lottie a huge and warming hug. Then the two of them stood, leant against the wall as there wasn't enough room for them all at the table, scoffing down food in what seemed to be a peaceful evening.