Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

“Drama,” Rachel whispered in Alexa's ear. “Gotta love it.”

No. Alexa didn't love it. Devin was upset. There was nothing to love about that. As they walked back to Charlie's car, Charlie barely held her head up, her fingers texting like mad. She finally looked up. “We need to stop by the studio.”

Devin pouted. “I want to go home.”

Charlie eyed her sister sympathetically. “It will only take a second.”

The drive was filled with the most uncomfortable silence Alexa had ever witnessed. The only sound was the occasional sob from Devin. She wanted to comfort her but coming up with something appropriate to say was harder than she thought. Where would she start?

Charlie's eyes were fixed on the road, Rachel was picking at her cuticle, inspecting her nails and Devin rested her head on the side of the window because Charlie didn't bother taking the top down.

They pulled into a relatively empty lot and as they stepped out of the car, the distinct sound of Sawyer's bike engine caused everyone's heads to snap up in unison. He had it parked and the kickstand down in seconds, removing his helmet and setting it on the seat.

His eyes were wide, alarmed as he took a tentative step forward. “Dev,” he said.

Devin kept her head down, refusing to acknowledge his presence.

“Devin,” he said louder. “C'mon sugar, talk to me.”

The anger, the betrayal, the hurt Devin felt sparked to life as she clumsily moved forward on her cast. She held her palms forward and shoved Sawyer hard in the chest. “You lied to me!” she yelled.

Charlie's eyes darted from side to side. “Maybe we should give them a minute.”

The girls began to walk to the door when Devin's voice froze everyone in their tracks. “We don't need a minute, there's nothing to talk about.”

“Yes,” Sawyer said. “There is.”

“You aren't who I thought you were!”

Alexa's chest tightened. Her heart pulled in two very different directions. Knowing Sawyer's secrets, she didn't blame him for not revealing his troubled past but knowing what it was like to love Sawyer, in any capacity, she could only imagine how Devin must feel.

“I am exactly who you thought I was,” Sawyer retorted. “Come with me. We'll talk.”He moved to grab Devin's arm but she twisted her body out of his reach.

“Don't touch me!”

“Go with him,” Charlie encouraged.

“I don't know him!” Devin yelled.

“Fourteen year old girls,” Rachel whispered. “The whole world is coming to an end.”

“Shut up,” Alexa scolded. “You're seventeen. Three years older and not a lot wiser than Devin. Besides, look at the pity party we had when Marcus Linderberg broke up with you.”

“That was different.”

“It was no different,” Alexa said. “Not at all.”

“Darlin' you can't avoid this forever,” Sawyer said. “Come with me. I want to talk to you.”

“I want a million dollars and a friend who is not a liar!”

Sawyer looked up to the sky, maybe for some kind of divine intervention on his behalf. Alexa could tell he was getting frustrated. She moved forward and stood between them, facing Devin.