To Our Own Beat

Reagan

                Listening to my mom talk about love really got me to thinking about my relationship with Ricky. Sometimes I feel like my mom and dad have this fairytale relationship but, then I think about the rough patches that they went through.  Especially when my mom found out about my dad and Auntie Faith. Then that makes me think about what Uncle Noriah went through with Auntie Faith. It shows me that relationships are a constant test of faith and trust. I’ve learned so much from the four of them.

                I looked at each of my family members as we sat around the fire pit in our backyard.  Felt comfortable cuddled up with Ricky. I smiled as my little brother and sister attempted to roast marshmallows. I looked over at my mom who held baby Taj in her arms as she rested, wrapped in my dad’s arms. I smiled as Uncle Noriah whined about Auntie Faith hogging baby Nathan. I glanced at Tee-Tee who was sitting with his girlfriend, Charlene, he looked a little uneasy. I thought about what everybody went through during the past year and an idea popped in my head.

                I whispered my idea into Ricky’s ear and he nodded his head with a smile.

                “Hey! Can I get everyone’s attention?” I called out to my family. It didn’t take much to get everyone’s attention. They immediately quieted down.

                “I know in the past year this family has been through a lot. We’ve experienced things that have affected us in major ways, some good and some bad.  I feel like it’s important that we reflect on it. I was telling Ricky that one way that we can reflect on it is by sharing what we’ve learned with each other.” I explained to them.

                “That sounds like a good idea, Rae.” my dad chimed in.

                “Well….who wants to start?” I asked with a nervous giggle. Everybody’s eye’s darted around.

                “Ooooh ohhh! Me! Me!” Poppa shouted going up and down.

                “Go ahead, Poppa. What have you learned?” mom asked him as giggles rippled through the group.

                “I learned that boys don’t hit girls, even if they mess with your stuff!” he said, throwing a mean mug Sunni’s way, making us all laugh. 

                “I’ll go next.” My dad said after the laughter died down. “I learned that you have to be on your toes at all times because it doesn’t take much to be seduced. I also learned the real meaning of the saying, you never miss a good thing until you’re without it. I didn’t know how much I really needed my wife until I was without her for three weeks.  I really missed my girl.” He confessed, smiling at my mom before placing a kiss on her lips.

                “Piggybackin’ off of what Storm was saying, I learned how important it is to stick by your partner. You can’t bail out when they need you most. And communication is key. If you never communicate with your better half then you’re never gonna know how they’re really feeling.” He looked over at Auntie Faith who was blushing and cheesing really hard.