Didn't Think You Cared

Joyful

                 “Joyful Alexandria Banks-Jackson, get out of the car right now!”  Storm snapped at me as he stood in front of the open car door. I flinched slightly at the tone of his voice. He was fed up with me at this point because I was being difficult but, I didn’t care. He made me mad by forcing me to come to Faith’s baby shower. I looked up at him as tears glazed over my eyes.  My hormones, my anger and his attitude was a recipe for disaster.

I swung my legs around so that they hung out of the door as the tears rolled down my cheeks. Storm stood between my legs and reached to wipe the tears from my eyes. I turned my head

                “Come on, ma. Quit being difficult.” He said softly. I turned my face toward him as he closed the gap between us, as much as my pregnant belly allowed.

                “Ok.” I said quietly.

                “We won’t stay long. We’ll just make an appearance, ok?” he continued to speak softly. I nodded my head in response. He placed one hand on my belly as he leaned up to kiss me.

                “Are you gonna go in here and be a good girl?” he asked.

                “Yes, daddy.” I replied, before requesting another kiss. I love my hubby. He’s a great father, husband, and provider and I shouldn’t be giving him a hard time. Sometimes I can’t help it though.

                Storm held my hand as we made our way to Faith and Noriah’s front door. We were greeted at the door by my mother and she directed us to the backyard where the rest attendees were gathered. I noticed that the family had designated tables. All of the children and teens were at one table and all the adults of the family were at a nearby table. I rolled my eyes when I saw that they had me seated right next to Faith. Storm squeezed my hand and I took a deep breath, plastered a smile on my face and walked over to the table.

                “Hey everybody!” I greeted as happily as I could. Everyone looked up and greeted me and Storm. I went ahead and took my seat next to my sister.

                “How you doing, mama?” Mozelle asked.

                “I’m doing well. I’m just ready to drop this baby. It’s doing a number on me.” I told her.

                “Have you started feeling any contractions yet?” she asked.

                “I felt my first one this morning. Luckily I get to go in for my cesarean on Wednesday. So in a couple of more days we’ll welcome a new Jackson to the gang.” I said with a smile, caressing my belly softly.

                “Girl, I’ve been where you are and trust me, I wouldn’t wish that on anybody. I’ll be happy when you drop the baby too.” She said with a smile. I looked to my right in search of Storm but I didn’t see him. I had attachment issues to my baby so, I needed him with me at all times. I searched the backyard and finally spotted him. He must’ve read my mind because he had two plates of food in his hands. He made his way over to me and sat the plate down in front of me. The plate consisted mostly of salad but he treated me with a piece of my dad’s fried chicken. I smiled up at him.