|ds6|•book 1

Anything you wanna do, I am gonna try to
Boy, my body's just for you

March 8, 1997
Dallas, Texas

SORAYA
The days were getting closer and closer for me to leave for a month's time to California. This entire time, I haven't packed a single item of clothes into my suitcase knowing how long a month is worth of clothes to pack. But the good thing is, Tilah will be over again and to help me pack sometime this week and that'll also be the day I tell her about my pregnancy. I decided against calling her only just to wait. The first to know before anyone is Whitney who I've been on the phone with for the past thirty minutes. I have missed her like crazy since I went on tour with Michael. Although it felt different not working for her any longer, I was always gonna be there when she needed me. But being able to showcase my skills to others, I was forever grateful for the recommendation she put in for me last year.

"Besides the good news of the pregnancy, I'm happy you both made up. Girl, you almost had that man go into a damn breakdown when he called me in January." She said with a boisterous laugh and I joined her.

"I made a mistake by leaving him when I knew it wasn't his fault. I went through hell being without him those three weeks."

"I feel that way about Bobby when I'm doing shows, but it doesn't compare to my baby girl Kristina," she emphasized and I smiled, "it feels as if a piece of my heart is missing when I'm away from her. Granted she be at some shows and I bring her up on stage, I'm content, but it's always those days when she isn't there, y'know?"

"I guess that's how I'll be with my little one if I'm away too long. The only thing is, I'm touring with Michael and the baby will be here after it ends in the same month. Also, I'm planning on working on my cosmetic designs this year so hopefully nothing gets too hectic before and after the baby arrives." I explain.

The thought of starting my own cosmetic line has always been a huge goal of mine to accomplish before the year ends. I knew I had a lot on my plate by doing this tour as Michael's hairstylist, but I could squeeze in time to conjure up some ideas as a head start. And even though Michael has said he'd help me if needed, I wouldn't have mind getting that extra boost. After all, he is my man and father of our unborn child, but I wanted to start from the bottom and work my way up in the cosmetic industry. Not everyone started with their own business, but with an already successful manufacturing company. There were so many of them, I wouldn't know where to begin to choose who I'd love to work for as a start. The moment I do get that start, that's take off for my own brand. But for now, I'm going to let God guide me into the right direction with this one and wherever He leads me to, I know it'll be for the best.

I wouldn't know until a year from now and the huge success coming afterwards.

"You're still head strong about that, huh?" Whitney asks me, proud at the most.

"Of course, Nip. It's been my dream, my passion to create my own cosmetic line."

"Not to sound like a user, but why don't you have Michael, y'know? Fund everything you need to get your foot in the door? I'm sure he wouldn't mind helpin' you."

I let out a soft sigh, "That's the thing. He's mentioned that before, but I don't want the easy way to a successful business."

"And why the hell not?!" She interjected.

"I just rather start from the bottom and work my way up. I don't want to come off as if me dating the biggest superstar in the world is the reason why I'm so successful in life. The same applied to you."

The phone grew silent for some time as Whitney's voice reappeared, "I get your point. You're right. I went through hell trying to help you open up your own salon in Dallas and you kept declining it."