28 - I'm the Villian - pt.2

Start from the beginning

Then she glances at me briefly and continues. "Time is money. You'd think they'd..."

"Ari and I..." I begin again.

She breaks. My body jerks forward and then back in the seat, as she brings the car to a complete stop. She parks the car off to the side of the road and then we sit in silence. She's not looking at me but staring off through the windshield. I lean back into the leather seat and watch her cautiously.

I'm nervous.

She knows or has an idea. She's been calm. I'm waiting for the side of Charli that scares me a little to come out and play. She's clenching her jaw and her knuckles are pale on the steering wheel. Which I didn't think it possible for her to get any paler.

Charli sighs and finally turns to me.

"We're dating, we're not exclusive, no lines have been drawn, and I'm not stupid."

She looks down at my wrist and I follow her gaze. She is staring at my bracelet. It's suddenly glaring and out of place on my wrist. The vivid green and cheap plastic beads don't match my expensive outfit. I should've taken it off.

I know why I didn't.

"I knew things were going to change even if you didn't."

She reaches over and touches my bracelet. Then she continues, "Tonight is our night and honestly I don't want to know why you're looking at me like you've drowned a bag of puppies."

"Charli..."

"Just stop." She raises her hand. "Love doesn't have to be painful. You know that, right? What I witnessed back there was excruciatingly painful."

She touches my hand.

"Give me a chance, okay? Let me show you how love is supposed to be. No guilt, no drama, no pain. So, don't tell me. Don't worry about it, it doesn't matter. There's no point in adding drama where there isn't any."

What do I say?

"Do you want me to take you back?" She asks.

"No," I don't hesitate, "I want to spend my night with you."

There is nothing I can think of more unappealing then going back to the apartment with...them. And when I'm with Charli I always have a good time.

She smiles and then leans over to kiss me.

This time I do hesitate.

I understand what she is saying, but does it make it any less wrong? I don't have much time to think or question it. Her lips are already on mine and she is pulling me in again. I release a tense breath and relax into her. There isn't any ache in her kiss it's all sweetness and pleasure. As her lips move against mine, I can already feel the tension fading from my limbs and shoulders.

I love kissing Charli.

I love a lot of things about Charli. I love her confidence. I love how she makes me feel. I love I never have to wonder why or if. I love her grin. I love that all the guilt and confusion is already gone. And I love that I can see it. Us having a happy future together.

She breaks the kiss and grins.

"Now let me show you what this baby's got."

She revs the engine and sticks her tongue out. And I can't help but laugh.

We arrive at the restaurant and Charli hands the keys to the very happy valet boy. And a doorman opens the door as we walk up. We step inside and it's by far the nicest most expensive joint I've ever been. White tablecloths, chandeliers, live violinists, and garçons.