~Chapter 6~

MISAKI
It's been a week since the day I decided to distance myself from this family but honestly...it's not working. Or rather, they aren't allowing it to work, they are all so kind and when we stayed at the chairman's house over the weekend, I don't think I ever had so much of fun until then. We had everything, a movie marathon, pillow fight...it was all so perfect but I still haven't let go of my resolve. Even though it may be hard, at least they will still be alive rather than dead. 
I sighed as I lay on my bed trying to sleep but every time I closed my eyes, that man's face would appear and scare me out of my wits. Another sleepless night...
In the morning, Yuki came to pick me up as usual and then we met Zero outside as usual. The thing is...if things keep going like the way they are, I might never be able to detach myself from them. I mean, Yuki's cheerfulness always seems to make me smile, Zero's protectiveness makes me feel safe just like I did with my previous brother and I can't not mention how the chairman's dramatized actions makes me laugh because he reminds me of one of my past foster father. After such a long time, I've felt truly happy but I'm not selfish enough to risk the lives of these wonderful people for my happiness.
"Misaki" Yuki called pulling me away from my thoughts "hmm?" I hummed "you okay?" she asked concerned and in response I nodded my head but before she could ask me anything else, the gates opened revealing the night class so we all tried or best to hold back the fan girls and boys "why are you doing this Misaki?! you only want the night class to yourself! especially Kaname-kun! stop being selfish!" a girl I was trying to hold back yelled which made me step back in shock...selfish? 
Yuki who was right next me heard what the girl said and snapped "no one is trying to keep anyone to themselves, especially not Misaki! she's not selfish! so watch your tongue!" Yuki bellowed but I put my hand on her shoulder before she could continue and slightly shook my head "I apologize for seeming selfish but I am not trying to keep the night class to myself, I'm just trying to handle the duty given to me by the chairman to the best of my abilities" I mumbled loud enough for the girl to hear "yeah sure! it's unfair that you're a prefect even though you just came!" another girl shouted at me. I sighed and shook my head but I said nothing at all, neither did I let Yuki say anything. I looked up and my eyes met with Kaname's who kindly smiled at me and I politely returned the gesture even though I'm pretty sure it seemed like a grimace. 
While we were patrolling, Yuki and Zero kept giving me worried glances until an idea popped into my brain "I'm going to see the chairman" I announced before racing off to his office. I knocked on the chairman's door and opened it when I heard him say 'come in'. Inside, the chairman and Kaname were sitting across from each other but looked up at me when I walked inside "good evening chairman, Kuran-sama" I greeted "Misaki, call me dad" the chairman whined "right...dad. I actually wanted to talk to you about something" I mumbled wondering if I should say it in front of Kaname "sure, what is it?" the chairman smiled.
I took in a breathe before taking off my disciplinary committee badge which made the chairman give me a confused look whilst Kaname looked shocked "I don't think I'm fit for this responsibility, I'm sorry chairman" I said putting the disciplinary badge and my gloves on his desk "excuse me" I whispered opening the door only to have Zero and Yuki fall into the room "what are you doing here? there's no one patrolling" I said alarmed "Misaki, don't let what those girls said get to you, they always do that" Yuki pleaded "who said what?" the chairman asked confused "it's not about that Yuki. Nobody said anything chairman" I replied "then what is it about?" Zero asked "one should be able to see oneself as fit for the job Zero and I don't think I cut it" I said before walking past them and into the the woods. I didn't know where I was going, I just let my feet carry me wherever they wanted to and in the end I found myself sitting down in the middle of the forest crying. I couldn't help it, the frustration from the past and my resolve just broke me. I hated being so weak, I put my hand to the pendant which lay snugly on my chest "I wonder who gave this to me" I whispered to myself and I definitely didn't expect an answer but a small whimper echoed through the woods "who's there?" I asked grabbing my 'silver rose' gun. I looked on as a beautiful black dog walked out of the shadows "doggy!" I exclaimed and it grunted "oh you're a wolf" I giggled slightly embarrassed that it could understand me. I slumped back down against the tree while putting the gun back where it belonged, the wolf sat down next to me and lay it's head on my lap looking at me with beautiful garnet eyes...it looked just like Kaname's. I shook my head at that thought and stared at the wolf until it nudged my hand with its snout "you want to be petted huh?" I mumbled stroking its silky fur.
I don't know how long we were sitting there but I decided to say something "am I really that selfish?" I asked and the wolf opened it's eyes to stare at me "maybe I am, I mean, everyone here is so kind but all I will ever do is cause them pain. I should have probably left by now so that they aren't murdered like my previous families but I'm still here...that means I'm selfish...I'm selfish enough to have stayed here this long because I was happy but I can't put them in anymore danger, I have to maintain my distance from them" I said and the wolf just stared at me "I thought you understood what I was saying, maybe you do" I chuckled awkwardly. The wolf got up and ran off leaving me by myself " I would run away too" I sighed leaning my back against the tree only to bolt up straight when I saw another figure emerge into the woods but this was the silhouette of a man "who's there?" I asked pressing my ring making the 'silver moon' gun appear "it's just me" a smooth and silky yet husky voice said stepping forward revealing Kaname "oh Kuran-sama, what brings you here?" I asked my cheeks flushing from my scene earlier on in the chairman's office "I came to return these to you" he said showing me the disciplinary committee badge and gloves "Kuran-sama, I really don't think I'm cut out for the job" I sighed sitting back down and Kaname sat down next to me which made my heart race for some reason "I don't think anyone could do it better than you. Those girls are just jealous of your capabilities" he said softly "it's not about what those girls said" I muttered "I don't think you should try to distance yourself from them" he said looking at me and my head snapped up to face him "I heard you talking to the wolf" he explained "oh" I nodded embarrassed "you shouldn't blame yourself for whatever happened in the past, you aren't selfish at all Misaki, if you distance yourself from them, they will all be shattered. You have become an important person in everyone's life, Yuki is sulking because she couldn't protect you, Zero is in the process of making those girls write out a sentence 500 times as a punishment and the chairman is gloomy and quiet. Don't you see Misaki? ever since you came, it's like the school has become livelier" he explained "we are vampires  Misaki, nothing can harm us. The chairman is the best hunter I know, nothing can harm him. If you distance yourself from them, it'll be like killing them everyday. We know how to handle ourselves Misaki, trust us and please let go of your resolve to keep yourself away from them" Kaname said handing me the gloves and badge. 
I stared at them for a while before gingerly taking them from his hands and putting it back on, it just felt so natural for those gloves to be on my hands "thank you Kuran-sama" I smiled softly as I looked up into his garnet eyes "there's no need to thank me" he smiled warmly but it didn't reach his eyes "you can call me Kaname" he said "K-K-Kan- Kuran sama" I blurted out which made him chuckle slightly "it's alright" he smiled. The look in his eyes was warm, as if something he's been waiting for is happening but the loneliness overpowered the warmth "You should talk to Yuki, she's rather depressed and unfortunately, I have to get to class" he said after a few minutes of us gazing at each other "oh right Yuki!" I exclaimed shooting up to my feet and running off but I abruptly stopped and turned around to see Kaname looking straight at me "Thank you Kura-! I mean Kaname-sama!" I yelled blushing but ran away ignoring the shocked look on his face. I was far away from him, that's why I had the guts to call him by his first name but I could never gather the courage to do that ever again.