~Chapter 23~

MISAKI

"Fucking bitch! Answer me!" I cried out helplessly as the bottle of water collided with the side of my head repeatedly "mom! mom please help me!" I wailed hoping in vain, to awaken some sympathy in the woman's heart "you motherfucker! I'm talking to you!" he roared as he gripped my hair painfully and threw me to the floor as the woman I called for as desperate measures chuckled mercilessly "I'm not your mother you worthless, stupid bitch. Honey, I think it's time the belt paid a visit".

My eyes widened as I curled myself up in a ball, terrified of what these people are. Monsters, they are damn monsters. I clenched my eyes shut as warm tears streamed down from my face and onto the floor as I prayed for some mercy.

Mercy...I got none of that.

"Misaki" I sucked a breath in before opening my eyes to see Yuki standing at my doorway watching me concerned "are you crying?" I forced a smile on my face before holding up the book I was reading "sad part" I covered up as I sat up and rested my back against the headboard whilst Yuki watched me suspiciously.

"You're looking very pretty, I must say" I smiled as I took in her appearance to see that she's all dressed up in the yukata I gave her "thank you, now hurry up and get ready. The night class has already left for the shrine" I nodded as I placed a bookmark in my book before I shuffled to the end of the bed and swung my feet over to rest on the cold hardwood floor and my gaze fell on the resin laying next to the gift I got for Kaname.

Kaname...

"Will Kaname be there?" the question left my lips before I could think it over because as much as I know it's what's best for him, the fact that I haven't seen him ever since that Christmas night makes me feel empty inside. Kaname has been at home but only when I'm not there and when I'm patrolling, he's always inside. It's almost like he's avoiding me..

Isn't that what I wanted?

Then why is it affecting me when that exact same thing is happening?

I pushed him away to such an extent that he doesn't even want to see my face...

"I don't know Misa but if he is there, please tell him how you feel and put an end to the misery both of you are going through" I let out a shaky breath as I laughed humorlessly and ran a hand through my hair "if only it was that easy" Yuki stayed by the door for a few moments and I know that she's biting back her thoughts as she sighs and closes the door behind her.

I clenched my fists, frustrated with myself, with my circumstances and most of, frustrated because I'm weak. I tried fighting those people off initially but it was of no use, I fell short in protecting myself. Kaname deserves more than a weak human who can't protect herself. He's the future king of the vampires, he needs a queen who is like him.

A queen who is strong and firm in everything she does, someone who can confidently stand by his side to be his equal, someone who can protect him just as he would protect her.

That someone...is not me. Even if I try, I won't be able to become that woman who can be brave enough to rule over all of those manipulative vampires.

Sighing, I walked into the bathroom to quickly shower and get ready. My movements are slow and sluggish as I feel the weight of my memories and my weaknesses on my shoulders.

Standing in front of the mirror, I finish spraying the foundation over my scars and tuck a strand of my blow-dried hair behind my ear as I get started on the yukata. It's a pale red with dark red bordering and pale pink flowers scattered across the material. I lifted my gaze up to the mirror as I pinned my hair back into a messy bun before slipping on a pair of sandals and making my way outside to see Yuki helping Zero straighten out the sleeves of his kimono.