"That's the thing, Sage." Kai suddenly stood up. He loomed over Sage, eyes glowing a painful blue. Shadows depicted his emotions, and Sage hated the confliction they painted. "Right now is the perfect time to be strict about what role we have to play. I get it now; I was too caugh up in my personal life and with Iris that I missed paying attention to the problems at hand, the ones we needed solve before they showed up. Well guess what, they did! And now we're ten, twenty steps behind!"

Sage shot to her feet. Kai stood taller, but Sage had a fierce look in her eyes.

"We have time to spare. Quiet talking like war is already here. Like it's upon her right now."

"It is."

"It's not!"

When Sage pushed Kai's shoulder, he understood like a bolt of realization zapped through him. Sage was scared, like many others. It was easier to believe that the bad things to arrive were just a hoax, that the empty hallways were just occasional, and the fright was temporary. But it wasn't, and it shook Sage to her core. She was old enough to have experienced countless battles, conflicts, fear, but this felt different.

It wasn't perfect, not that it would ever be, but Sage loved her life. She loved Vridora, the vampires, the people. She admired the King and had great fondness for his son. She got to fall in love with an adorable maid, who she feared she couldn't protect. Sage got to watch Kai's development, which could, and shamelessly, gloss her eyes with pride. From a reckless, hot-tempered attitude to someone loving and mature, it was amazing to have witness. She didn't want that to change, and yet change was inevitable. Sage's wishes, like many others', will flame up in the madness.

Kai didn't pity Sage, or empathize with her. He stared at her with hooded eyes and stooped shouldered.

"The war is already here Sage."

"Then–" Her voice was shaky. "–let's focus on the issue at hand. Yeah?"

"We can't...." he sighed. "I can't afford to waste any time on unnecessary problems." He turned to leave. As he began to walk away, Sage grabbed his elbow and forced him to turn around.

"I don't know what you're dealing with right now, but do not confuse your duty with your priorities. Iris is not unnecessary."

Kai jerked his arm away. "Maybe you should focus on your own job, and for once stop pestering me about mine."

Sage clenched her hands into fists. She watched Kai leave, her words unreliable because they were jumbled up and she would stutter if she tried to call him back.

"You can't ignore him! Nor the King. You know that!"

Even if Kai did, he said nothing.

***

It's been three days. Three long days and even longer nights. Three sunrises, and three dull midnights. Not a word was shared between Iris and Kai. No matter how hard Iris tried, Kai was nowhere to be found. And no one thought to help him.

The King hadn't made an attempt to contact either of the two. Iris was skeptical. Kai didn't pay no mind to it.

He had more important mattered to worry about.