Chapter 10: Prove It

Start from the beginning

"If I cross that line, things between us will change forever. Why become more emotionally involved if we are only to say farewell when we return?" she asks.

I give her a shrug, "That I cannot answer, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. You can be happy with him for the next few months and be miserable when we return, or you can be miserable now and miserable later."

Surprisingly, she chuckles and pushes the wooden door open for me. We step out onto the cobble stone street where a mangy looking man gives us a low whistle. Turning to me, she nods, "You know, I think I will make it known to him. See you later tonight?"

"See you," I confirm, then look across the street at a sweet shop. "I think I'm going to spend some of this royal coin," I say, patting my pocket. We then wave goodbye and I make my way to the shop, pushing open the door. I'm greeted by a young man—a boy really, no older than thirteen at the most—who tells me to feel free to look around.

Given that the shop is located in Farnmoss and the demand for sweets is low, there's not that many selections. Glass jars line the far left wall full of hard lacquered pops, various flavors of taffy, strips of liquorice, lemon drops, and a few bars of chocolate.

Before I was imprisoned, sweets were one of the few items I would buy to spoil myself. Seeing as that I was one of the more skilled thieves in Paevia, I generally had the money to do so from time to time, and there was nothing like popping a few pieces of candy into your mouth after a hard day's work.

Unsure of when I'd get the opportunity to visit another sweet shop, I buy a fair portion of candy for myself and my companions, making sure to leave a few extra shillings behind for the boy. He brightens up and runs to the back of the shop, dragging out an older man and woman who I learn are his grandparents. They personally thank me and I leave with a smile on my face, glad I could make their day.

I then take my time and wander from shop to shop, feeling a bit of freedom with each small purchase. Considering the money was given to me, with more of it promised back in Paevia, I spend it freely. Some on treats for the horses, some on soaps and dental hygiene products. I also buy a new hair brush and a two new pairs of leggings before carting my new belongings back to my room at the inn.

Seeing that the sun is soon to set, I knock on Laria's door to collect her and am surprised to find her eager to head to the tavern.

We then go to knock on Amiri and Crispin doors but neither answer, signaling they are gone. After asking Gigi where the tavern is, we step outside and walk down the cobblestone road. The sun is just above the horizon now, painting the sky a brilliant mixture of pink and orange. Lanterns are already alight, their flames dancing to an unknown tune in the wind.

"You know, if it weren't for all the piss and criminals here, I'd say that Farnmoss might actually be a pleasant place to live," I say out loud, earning a chuckle.

"Aren't you a criminal?" Laria points out, elbowing me playfully in the ribs.

"Very funny," I reply with an eye roll. "I only stole from the rich and took contracts from those even richer. If anything some might say I'm a hero," I say nobly with an edge of sarcasm.

"More like a wolf in sheep's clothing," she retorts and we both chuckle.

"Possibly," I agree.

"Well, here we are," she says, looking up at the black iron sign that hangs on two chains.

"The Sloppy Pig," I read out loud, "Why can't these names ever be somewhat pleasant?"

Shrugging, we step inside and I'm shocked at how large the place is. From the outside, the building –like all the others—is tall, misshaped, and leaning at awkward angles. Though it is skinny, the establishment is quite long and I assume that it has been combined with whatever shop was on the other side. It is also a three story building that you can look straight up and see each floor, a long balcony keeping those that get too close safe. The first two floors seem to be drinking areas while the third floor is closed off and has been made into rooms, but for what I don't know.