Chapter 18

"Begin!" Midnight yelled.

Almost everyone headed straight for Midoriya since he had the most points. My team did the same. But before anyone could reach his team, they flew into the air using the support course student's gear. Not long after they landed, they ended up going into the air again. Bakugo used his quirk and propelled himself into the air after Midoriya's team, leaving the rest of us with smoke in our faces. He attempted to grab Midoriya's headband but was stopped by Tokoyami's dark shadow.

"Bakugo's been separated from his horses!" Present Mic exclaimed as Sero shot some tape out of his elbows and it rapped around Bakugo, pulling him back to our team. We caught him and he repositioned himself on the top of us. "Is that even allowed!?"

"He never touched the ground so technically it's ok." Midnight answered.

"Now who wants to take a look at each team's points so far? It's been several minutes, so let's get those ranking put up on the screen." President Mic said before the scores were put up on the screen and a gasp was heard from the audience. "Hold on here. This is an unexpected turn of events. Other than Midoriya, class 1-A isn't doin' so well."

I looked up and watched as another student pulled Bakugo's headband off of his head. I turned to look at the person who stole the headband and saw a student from class 1-B.

"Even Bakugo's losing!" President Mic yelled.

"Your class is too small-minded. Think bigger." The student, who I remembered one of his classmates saying his name was Monoma, said.

"No way!" I exclaimed, looking at Monoma after he took our headband.

"What did you say! Get back here!" Bakugo screamed.

"Midnight said the obstacle course was just the first game, and we figured they wouldn't put that many of us out of the games right off the bat. Would they?" Monoma said. "Assuming they'd keep at least 40 students for the next game, all we had to do was make sure we stayed in that group as we ran. From our spots in the middle, we could fully observe the quirks our rivals had and judge their abilities. Only a fool would obsess over winning the preliminary round, wouldn't you agree?"

"You planned this as a class?" Bakugo asked.

"It wasn't totally unanimous, but I'd say it's playing out well. It's better than chasing after a temporary frontrunner like a horse with a carrot waving in his face. Oh, well I have your attention, you're kind of famous, aren't you? For being attacked by that sludge villain. You'll have to tell me about it sometime. It must be strange to find yourself in the role of the victim." Monoma said. I knew this wasn't going to end well. A deadly aura surrounding Bakugo, making me feel a little frightened, as Monama talked. This kid sure knew how to provoke someone.

"Change of plans," Bakugo growled, Sero and Kirishima looking at Bakugo with fearful eyes. "Before we take down Deku, we're gonna kill every last one of these B-list idiots!"

Monoma's teammate said something to him and I heard part of Monoma's reply, "...you know how these things work. Heroes are always being hounded by villain desperate for some kind of revenge."

At this point, Bakugo was shaking with rage. I looked up at him, "Bakugo, you need to calm down. If you let him provoke you, you wouldn't think straight. That'll only make it harder for us to get our points back."

"Shut up! I've never been calmer." Bakugo yelled, making a small explosion when he punched his fist into his other hand. "Can't you tell!? Now we're going after them!"

We ran toward Monoma's team and Bakugo yelled as he stretched out his arm and aimed an explosion toward Monoma. Monoma avoided the attack, but as he did this, I saw him tap Bakugo. When we were past his team, Bakugo turned around to be met with one of his explosions.

"Wow. I see why you like this quirk!" Monoma said before quickly touching Kirishima's hair.

"Weird! That guy has your quirk!" Kirishima exclaimed.

Bakugo growled and swung his arm at Monoma for another attack, which made contact.

"You both have impressive powers," Monoma said as the smoke cleared to reveal him with his arm hardened the same way Kirishima's does when he uses his quirk. "But I think you'll agree mine's better."

"He copies quirks," I told my team.

"Yeah." Bakugo agreed.

"Very good," Monoma commented. "So, you figured it out."

I glanced around at our surroundings, seeing another team heading toward us, I quickly stomped my foot on the ground and made a wall of ice just as liquid cement was shot toward us. It stopped the attack and I turned my attention back toward the other class 1-B students.

"Nice one, Hiromi. I would've been cemented to the ground if you didn't block that attack!" Kirishima said, glancing back at me.

"There's more than one other group in this arena, so sometimes you have to pay attention to other things besides just the enemy in front of you," I replied, turning my attention back on Monoma and his team.

"Let's get our points back!" Bakugo yelled.

"Right!"

We chased after Monoma, who had attempted to use the cement as a distraction to get away, and quickly closed the distance between our two teams.

"Hey, losers!" Bakugo shouted. Then he jumped up and hurled himself through the air, toward Monoma's team. One of Monoma's teammates made a solid wall of air to attempt to block Bakugo, but he ended up landing on it and punching his way through it just as Monoma's team started running away and grabbed some headbands. Then, Sero pulled Bakugo back to our team just like he did the first time Bakugo flew into the air.

"Team Bakugo got two headbands and moves to third place! The final moments of the game have been full of crazy turn of events!" Present Mic announced.

"I told you to warm us before you jump!" Sero scolded.

"Whatever, this means we're advancing," Kirishima said.

"We're not done!" Bakugo yelled, smacking Kirishima in the head, "We're going to be the indisputable champions of this game!"

"I couldn't brace myself earlier when I jumped. Get closer! We'll get our points back from this idiot, then go for the big one!" Bakugo shouted. "Elbow guy! Tape 'em!"

"My name's Sero!" Sero shouted as he shot tape out of his elbows that went past Monoma's team.

"Hiromi! Put some ice in front of us." Bakugo ordered.

"Got it!" I exclaimed as the ground in front of us turned to ice after I took a slightly exaggerated step.

Then, Sero reeled in his tape and we slid across the ice, quickly closing the gap in between my team and Monoma's. As we got closer, the student in the front blew out another wall of air to try to shield his team from Bakugo, but he punched right through it and stole Monoma's remaining headband.

"Bakugo's a merciless force!" Present Mic exclaimed. "That was a shield break heard 'round the arena, and I can't wait to watch the replay!"

"We're going after Deku and Todoroki," Bakugo said as we all turned our attention to the wall of ice. "Hiromi, break that ice!"

"The game is almost over!" Present Mic yelled. "Time for a countdown!"

"Got it!" When we made it over to the ice, I placed my hand on it and it quickly shattered.

Bakugo didn't waste any time waiting for us to get closer to Todoroki and Midoriya. He propelled himself into the air again in an attempt to reach Midoriya and Todoroki in time. I looked over at the screen and saw the timer was below 10 seconds, and before I knew it-

"Time's up!"