Chapter Three: A Royal Breakfast

Picture: The Husersdown's mansion

We're now twenty-five people sitting at the breakfast table, and I'm pretty sure the entire staff isn't even there yet. They're all wearing very different type of clothes, but their outfits aren't too uptight, which is pretty comforting. At least I don't look underdressed in comparison, like I feared.

Most of them seem to be in their thirties and I can tell why they've been hired: they are so well-mannered that even a nun would look like a brute in comparison. They also have handsome, yet expressionless faces.

They keep saying thank you dear, would you mind, be my guest every two sentences. They talk about the tasks they've been given today, Monica, the old lady vampire's health - did you know vampires aren't actually immortal? Yes, I'm disappointed, too. As far as I can say, the weather is actually their favorite topic of conversation. I want to ask them what's their opinion on partner-swapping, just to see their reactions.

If people are so boring in Heaven, then I sure hope I'll end up in Hell.

Don't fool yourself, Alex. I immediately remind myself. You probably will. Especially after what you've done to your so-called best friend.

I don't like being surrounded by so many people. It makes me feel uncomfortable, and I can't help but think that somehow people can tell I'm not feeling at ease, which in turns increases my level of discomfort. It's a vicious circle.

Actually, that's another sign I've changed so much in the past few years. I prefer to be on my own now, but I used to be pretty popular. The good type of popular: I could make pretty much anyone talk. I even befriended the unapproachable Kyle.

I still cherish the memories of our friendship, although it didn't last as long as I would have wanted it to. Blame's on me, though.

"Kyle? Oh, Kyle?"

"Uh?" I respond stupidely, before looking up to see Serena and the little redhaired guy, whose name I forgot, looking at me expectandly.

"Kyle, what on Earth are you dreaming about? Angus has been calling your name a few times already." Serena asks me, souding half-annoyed and half-amused.

"Sorry, Angus, you were saying?" I ask sweetly, and to my greatest surprise, he slightly blushes before replying in a robotic tone:

" Don't apologize, Kyle. I said, it's 7:25 already. Aren't you supposed to bring their breakfast to our masters in five minutes or so?"

"Holy Moly" I exclaim, hurriedly getting up and making my chair fall with a lound bang in the process.

Of course, all the eyes are now on me, and I feel so embarassed I almost trip on the carpet.

"Good bye, everyone. T'was nice meeting y'all" I mumble, wanting to crawl up in a hole and die.

I grab my cutlery, putting everything in the sink but as I grab the sponge and the dishwashing liquid, Serena interrupts me by putting her hand on my arm:

"Leave it, Kyle. I'll do it. Just go!"

"Thanks, Serena" I sigh in relief. "I owe you one" I add sincerely.

She just rolls her eyes and I half-run off the room, going to the kitchen to collect my new masters' plates.

It's precisely 7:30 when I enter the dining room and I feel so relieved I want to cry. In the end I managed to be there on time! The relief is short-lived, though, as the elder lady, Monica, flatly observes:

"Young man, when we demand for our breakfast to be served at 7:30, it actually means the food should already be in our mouths at 7:30. Now, it's 7:31 and I'm still waiting. My tommy isn't used to this unbearable treatment"