Chapter 10 - Queen

Start from the beginning

There's a gasp in the crowd and a loud murmur among the people and some nod and agrees with what he says and back it up with an applaud, some do not and just shake their head. For the next few moments that passes, the people applaud and cheer for King Tyosar as some of them reason and agreed with him.

Ajifah's doesn't understand why some people cheered and applauded him because so far in his reign he has done nothing but side with an enemy, their oppressor and bring back his armies to their land. Why would people want a selfish and self-centered ruler, maybe because they don't know better.

The chief priest raises his hands and silences the people's murmur and side talk and then signal for Ajifah to speaks.

She then steps forward, her heart beating and the look on the faces of the people isn't at all a positive one which terrifies her and makes her doubt herself even more, but she clears her throat and ask herself what her father would do in times like this and she knows he would be brave and she decide to do likewise.

She manages to find her voice somehow and then begins to speak. "People of this great kingdom. I am Ajifah, the only daughter and heir of the late king Kalu and queen Ojima, many of you know me or must have heard of me. I stand before you at trial today because I believe that the gods do not make mistakes and I believe that they didn't make a mistake with making me a girl child and the only child the late king had. I grew up feeling incomplete and unwanted, but not by my father, but by those around him. I'm not a male heir, I'm a female and therefore unfit to rule, that's what I have always been told by the nobles and some of you." The people begin to side talk to one another, but Ajifah continues speaking before their voices overshadows hers. "Yes my uncle Tyosar did banish me, but let us not forget that he crowned himself king and there was no coronation done! He has trampled upon the traditions of the rite of crowning which has kept this kingdom moving for hundreds of years" as she says this the people begin to agree and murmur one to another." Because he knew he wasn't the rightful heir nor was he fit for the throne and so decided to give us no say in the coronation. If my uncle is the one you end up choosing, I will obey his command and return to exile or face his judgement whatever it may be because that would be the right thing to do. But I would like to invoke the mercy of the gods and ask that only I be punished and my warrior allowed to live and serve the throne and who ever is on it."

There's an awful silence that takes over the fortress after she says this, not even her warriors expected that. They wonder why she would give her life up for her warriors.

Tears well up in her eyes, but she pushes them back and continues speaking. "Let one things be cleared, the warriors and men around me aren't thugs or lowlifes or whatever uncle Tyosar called them earlier; they are brave men who swore an oath to my father while he was yet alive to see me to the throne and become Queen of the Attah kingdom. A promise uncle Tyosar made to him and couldn't keep. These men are warriors sworn to fight and protect this kingdom and give their lives in place of ours, they are heroes and without them the kingdom will be lost. They have my respect and appreciation as long as I live. Some are our father, some are our sons, some our brothers and some are our husbands and others are those that believed in us even when we didn't believe in ourselves." She says, looking down to where Klean stands and he smiles at her and she smiles in return.

"I am not saying I am without sins or errors but my sins are not the ones my uncle has told you. My sins are loving this kingdom with every thing in me and wanting the very best for it. My sins are; wanting to keep the kingdom, my people and their children safe from those who seek to harm them. My sins are; wanting the throne which belongs to me by birthright because I have worked, trained and fight so hard for it and I believe I would a good Queen. My sins are; wanting you all to believe in me and see as more than just a girl. If I was any of the things he said I was, I wouldn't have brought him into the fortress to be judged before the gods, I would have had him killed and crown myself Queen just like he did, but what kind of a queen would I be if half of the people I'm hoping to someday rule hates me? But that's the difference between uncle Tyosar and I. He doesn't care if you all lived or died and as we speak, the king beyond the sea is bringing a ship to take your sons and daughters away," Taiwo runs up towards Ajifah and gives her the treaty on a paper. She collects and raises it up. "This is the treaty of your king with the king beyond the sea hope to sign today at the royal banquet, and on this paper your king agrees to sell your sons and daughters away to king Zulu in exchange for food. Your beloved sons and daughters exchanged for food!!"