Here Together

AN: Oops so this totally turned into a song fic... and like it's minor angst and I'd genuinely be interested in turning this into a fully fleshed out fic. I pictured this being a scene between them in their early to mid twenties (are they married idfk you decide... but they live together in this lmao). Also I wrote this with the vision of the old layout of the beach house. Oops it's short again... and you'll know when to start the song :) - but only if you want to lmao.

Prompt used: buckyhtml - Tumblr

~

I scream as I push myself up from the bed, waking myself up from the nightmare. Almost immediately, I feel Connie's gentle touch beside me.

"Steven are you okay?" She asks, already knowing the answer. I just shake my head as tears fall down the side of my face. "C'mere," she says, pulling my head to her chest. Her hands entangled in my curls. "It was White again, wasn't it?" I'm barely able to muster up a nod. "Steven you know she's not going to hurt you again..." she whispers, caressing my cheek with her hand. I nod slightly and pull away from her. "I'm going to go get a snack, want anything?"

"No-no I'm not hungry..." I tell her.

"Suit yourself then," she says, understanding. She shuffles over top of me to get to the other side of the bed, and hops onto the ground. She pulls on a pair of long pj pants, due to the chilled temperature, as she begins to walk down the stairs. She opens the fridge and starts to pull things out for what looks like to be a sandwich. As she continues to shuffle through cupboards, I get out of bed as well. I turn to look at the clock on the nightstand, the neon blue light illuminating 3:00am. I walk down the stairs and meet her while she's still looking in the cupboards. As she gets up, unable to find what she was looking for, I wrap my hands around her waist, pulling her body into mine. I give her a small kiss on her shoulder blade, then rest my head there. We sway back and forth for a bit before she wriggles out of my grip, her stomach growling.

"Lemme just eat my sandwich and we can continue..." she says, giggling at the end. Her smile immediately sends a warmth throughout my body, butterflies arising in my stomach. It's a feeling that never truly left me, every time I look at her it just... appears. "Steven?" She asks, waving a hand in front of me. I shake my head slightly and turn to her, a wide grin spread across my face as a thought crosses my mind. I get up from the stool suddenly and run over to the radio. "Steven!?" Connie calls.

"Hold on just a minut- ah I've got it!" I flick switches on the radio. Just as it switches on, a familiar, sweet tune comes on.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you...

I walk over to Connie and extend my hand to her. "May I have this dance?" Her confusion fades into happiness as she places her hand in mine.

Shall I stay?
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

We slowly sway back and forth, my hands moving to her hips, hers to my neck. As we move side to side, our foreheads touching, the sounds of the waves in the distance mixing with the radio, it feels like it's just us. As if nothing could go wrong again.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be

"Connie, I love you." I whisper.

"I love you too Steven," she softly says. One of her hands moves from my neck to my chin, bringing it down for my lips to meet hers.

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

When we pull away, we continue to dance. She moves her head up for it to lean against the crook of my neck as we sway together.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be

My grip on Connie's waist tightens, she looks up in concern. Her eyes concentrated on me. She doesn't even have to ask before I start to let the words spill out.

"I'm-I'm sorry it's just-" I pause briefly. "I can't stand the thought of losing you... what if something happens to you like it did me! What if-" I feel hot tears start to roll down my cheeks.

"Steven.."

"Anything could happen and what if I can't protect you!"

"Steven!" She yells, silence taking ahold of us. The only sounds coming from the radio and the waves. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell... but nothing's going to happen to me, I'm not going anywhere." She says, wiping the tears away. "There's no way I'd ever leave you."

Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

I lightly spin, then dip her. Her hands find my cheeks as she pulls my lips to her. It surprises me with the force at first, but I then relax, all her weight still in my arms. I hold her close to me with ease. My body begins to soften, the thought of her here with me is able to push the others away. She won't leave me, I know that, like how I won't leave her.

For I can't help falling in love with you

~

AN: Ngl this one was pretty messy! Lemme know again if you'd be interested in this being like a few long parts of just this sort of scene cause I'd be down-

Okay but do tell me if you enjoyed this! It was a lot easier to build up the courage and post this one after y'all's nice comments, so keep them coming if you want to see more ;)

ps: I actually suck ass at titles heLP