[51] SAY YOU UNDERSTAND

THE PARTY STOOD OUTSIDE, majority of them having said goodbyes. Leaving Mariella facing the girl who had become her best friend in a few short days. She was leaving and Mariella could feel herself losing control in everything she had. All she really wanted was to be at home, with her friends, binge watching movies or shows.

"Y-You gotta be careful... That, that place, it's not safe. Not for anyone. You can't— Oh, gosh. You gotta come back," Mariella sputters over her words, hair beginning to fall into her face as her body shakes. She wanted nothing more but for them to be safe. For her friends, to be safe. This wasn't fair! But, if it wasn't them, who would save the world?

Eleven smiles weakly at her, nudging her shoulder softly with her hand. "I'll be okay," She nods, smiling at the first person to ever teach her how to find beauty within herself. "You keep the boys safe," She goes on gesturing to the group who stood behind Mariella.

Laughing softly, Mariella shrugs. "I'll try my hardest," She attempts a smile. "I will," She goes on, patting Eleven's shoulder before looking to Hopper's truck — his head peeking out as if to say 'hurry up!'. She sighs. "I think you've 'ought to go, I'll see you," She nods her head.

Eleven smiles again. "I'll see you, Mars," She smiles to her best friend before turning away and walking to the truck, putting her faith in the idea of her powers.

Mike paced around the living room, Mariella nodding and hitting her head against the wall softly. Lucas and Max staring at them in worry, cleaning up the broken glass as clatters come from the kitchen. Steve and Dustin were putting a corpse of a Demo-dog into the freezer, Dustin claiming is was a 'scientific discovery!'.

"Would you two stop already?" Lucas snaps at his two friends, their worry beginning to wash over on him. Listening to the continuous bangs against the wall and footsteps against hardwood.

Mariella stops, looking to Lucas with her head now leaning against the wall, say on the ground before Mike stops as well. "You weren't in there, okay, Lucas? That lab is swarming with hundreds of those dogs," He explains and Mariella nods in agreement, getting up and stumbling towards Mike. Arms already reaching towards him as she latches onto his arm and leans her face on his forearm, her eyes wide with worry. 

"Demo-dogs!" Dustin calls from the kitchen causing Mariella to pull her face from Mike's arm, head turning to the noise.

"Shut up!" She calls back to him before Lucas interjects.

He shakes his head, "The chief will take care of her," He tells them, attempting to calm their nerves.

Max shakes her head, eyes wide. "Like she needs protection," She shrugs.

Mariella leans her head back onto Mike's arm. "You all don't understand, Hopper couldn't even save Bob! None of us could, those things are..." She stumbles over her words before shutting her mouth and gripping onto Mike's arm tighter.

Steve walks into the living room, holding a rag in his hand. "Listen, a coach calls a play in a game, bottom line, you execute it. Right?" He begins, all of them staring at him in confusion.

"Okay, first of all, this isn't some stupid sports game. And second, we're not even in the game. We're on the bench," Mike stares at him in disbelief.

Mariella shakes her head, rolling her eyes. "None of us even plays sports so, whatever analogy you were trying to make, we won't get it," She adds as Steve begins to stammer.