[39] YOU'LL MAKE ONE HELL OF A LAWYER

LETTING OUT A HUFF, Mariella hopped down the schools steps alongside Mike. Tilting her head back and fourth as they walk towards the bike rack in an awkward silence. It was odd — they always had things to talk about, they were just too scared to even face the thing they wanted to talk about.

They were about to set off to Will's. Mariella already having called her parents from the payphone outside the school and telling them that she'd be going to Will's to make sure he was okay since he wasn't in school that day.

"Nervous?" Mike looks to her, nervously as he fiddled with his lock while Mariella stands next to him — she'd be riding on the back of his, her dad has dropped her off to school.

She looks at the ground for a moment, shrugging softly as he pulls his bike out. "Kind of. Yes. I am," She admits, Mike gently taking her hand and intertwining their fingers.

"It's gonna be okay, Mars," He says to her, leaning in and taking in a deep breath before pressing his lips to her forehead. A simple yet comforting gesture and Mariella couldn't help but lean closer to him and hug him tightly.

This felt right, Mariella thought. It felt so, so, right. Them two. The two of them, it made sense. Being together like this. The way her arms were wrapped around him, the way her head leaned into his chest as he held her.

Mike smiles, head leaned into her head before she pulls away and looks up to him. "Alright," She says as Mike smiles softly at her before mounting the bike, her following.

They really needed to figure out what they were. They really needed to talk. Just not yet. No. Not yet. They needed to figure things out about Will. Will is what matters.

The bike ride to Will's was silent besides from the sound of Mike's heart beating in Mariella's ears and the sound of the bike tires against the road. Her arms wrapped around his waist and cheek pressed to his back Mike turns corners to Will's house.

Carefully pulling the bike to a stop when the bike approaches the front of the house and hopping off the bike, hurriedly grabbing Mariella's hand and helping her off the bike, walking up towards the front door.

"Ready?" She looks to Mike biting her lip as they stare at the door.

He nods. Banging his hand against the door in a fist over and over. "Hello?" He calls through the door as Mariella cringes at the loud noise. "Will! Mrs. Byers?".

They hear the sound of the door unlocking, it opens, revealing Joyce who sighs, stressfully smiling at them. "Hi, Mike, Mariella," She greets them, out of breath.

"Is Will here?" Mike asks, eyes wide not even giving Joyce time to process the sight of the two kids on her doorstep.

Joyce looks to them before turning her head back towards the inside of the house. "You know what? N-Now is not a really good time," She says to them.

Mariella tilts her head at her. "Is... Is he okay? Sick?" She asks, voice wavering softly.

Joyce sighs, stepping out of the doorframe and outside, shutting the door behind her. "Yeah, sweetie. You know, he's... He's just not feeling real well," She explains, putting a hand on each of their shoulders and leading them towards Mike's bike. "He's laying down, so I'll tell him you stopped by, okay? He'll be real happy, don't worry too much, Mariella," She goes on before turning back towards the door.