[29] IT WAS ACTUALLY SIX

MARIELLA SITS IN HER ORANGE DRESS, it was a rough interpretation of Dana Barrett when she was possessed by Zuul, and more preteen-ish. She repeatedly pulled up the shoulder and shook her head, turning to Dustin who began laughing at how uncomfortable she looked in the costume.

"Guys, look at Mars," Dustin says, Mike and Lucas looking away from the stack of pillowcases they had pulled from the linen closet and staring at how Mariella scratched at her back because of the itchy material of the dress. They begin laughing, shaking their heads.

"Mars, you okay there?" Lucas asks, tilting his head with a smug smile.

"No! This stupid thing is itchy! I don't wanna wear it. Can't I—" She starts, cut off by Mike.

"No! We need to get photos!" He says to her, picking up two large pillowcases and tossing them to Dustin and Mariella. Dustin catches both.

"Can't we just take photos and then I can change into like... I don't know, like a pair of fairy wings or just slap some of those elf ears you guys used for that campaign?" She goes on, standing up, the dress falling just below her knees.

"No! You'll look stupid!" Lucas scoffs, shaking his head as he pulls a pillowcase from the stack and beginning up the stairs. "Will's gonna be here soon," He adds.

Dustin gets up, grabbing his pillowcase, ruffling Mariella's hair before stumbling after Lucas with a goofy smile on his face.

"Come on, Mars!" Dustin laughs as he runs after Lucas.

Mike chuckles, shaking his head before wandering over to Mariella and taking one of her hands which fell limply at her sides. "I can pin that part up with a safety pin?" He offers, pointing at the shoulder which kept on falling.

She nods. "Please do,".

He smiles, grabbing the pillowcase which sat on the couch behind her in the hand which held his and led her upstairs. She followed, trailing behind him as he walked into the living room and went into the cabinet under the television stand, grabbing the sewing kit his mom used. Opening it and grabbing a safety pin, walking back over to Mariella who watched him.

"Alright, uh," He begins, taking hold of the shoulder part of her dress which kept flopping over. She kept her eyes on him, staring up as his hand gently brushes her shoulder for a split second.

"Then I'll just, pin it... Like that," He nods as he shoves the pin through the fabric and it falls comfortably onto her shoulder. Not flopping over.

They stand closely for a moment, Mariella still looking up at him, him now looking down at her. It seemed almost magnetic, the way he slowly leaned into her. The way she began to tip toe, ever so slightly. Her eyes fluttering as their faces get closer and closer.

It was so close. It would've happened. They're lips were only inches apart. They could practically feel each other's breathing. It should've happened. Yet, it didn't.

Lucas and Dustin scrambling through the front door and rushing into the living room, Mike and Mariella falling away from each other and attempting to each natural. Mike clearing his throat awkwardly, Mariella running a hand through her hair. Lucas and Dustin didn't even bother to notice, the way their cheeks heated up.

"Will's here! Hurry up!" Lucas shouts to them, shaking his head at how distracted they seemed. How disconnected they seemed, his words floating through one ear and out the other.

Mariella nods to them, waving her hand, "Yeah, coming. Go meet him outside!" She beckons, both of them rolling their eyes and stalking out of the door.

Mike looks down at her apprehensively, noticing the pink blush which resided on her cheeks and he had the strongest urge to just grab her arms and kiss her. It was going to happen had they not of been interrupted. Shaking the thought, he noticed the way she looked back at him with her large doe eyes.

"L-Let's go meet the guys," He stutters out, nodding his head as he picks up his pillowcase from the ground.

"Yeah. Yeah," Mariella agrees, a small smile on her lips as she walks away from him, partly sad that he hadn't of kissed her after Lucas and Dustin had left. Partly relieved, though too. She hadn't a clue on what she would do if he had! Where would her hands go? What if she was a bad kisser? What if... There's just too many!

He followed after her, both of them somewhat dazed as they walked closer and closer to Jonathan's parked car. Dustin and Lucas were 'battling' each other with their pillowcases.

"You guys look pretty wimpy," Mariella giggles, shaking her head to snap herself out of the daze she was in. Her mind repeating the prior moments over. Does he like her? Does he? Or does he just want to get rid of his first kiss?

"Shut it, Mars!" Dustin scoffs at her before slapping her arm with his pillowcase with a laugh.

"Oh? You're on, Henderson!" She says to him, smacking him with her pillowcase.

Mike stares at the two, smacking one another continuously. His mind idle, he should've just kissed her after! Why didn't he? He didn't understand, for the longest time, Mariella was just... Just Mariella! That's it. The gem of the party. She was never treated any differently from Lucas or Will or Dustin. She was always just Mariella. He didn't understand why.

Why did he find himself staring at the back of her head all the time during class? Or why was she always on his mind? And why! Why was she the only person he felt as if he could call whenever he was overwhelmed? He was beginning to realize, it wasn't because of her calming nature and ability to keep others from spiralling. He was realizing now, just now, he liked her.

It looked pathetic, Will thought to himself, watching Mariella and Dustin take turns 'battering' one another with featherlight pillowcases. The sight made him want to burst out in laughter, he opened the door of Jonathan's car holding the film camera.

"Will!" Mike cheers, shaking off his thoughts. Noticing Will's smiling figure approaching the group. All of their eyes darting towards him.

"Egon!" Dustin shouts out, throwing his arms up excitedly.

"Yeah! You ready for tonight, man?" Lucas asks him, high-fiving Will once he's close enough.

"The dentist is gon' hate us after this," Mariella pipes in, bobbing her head around happily.

"Maybe the dentist will hate you. I've never had a cavity," Lucas responds, puffing his chest out in pride while nudging Mariella. The entire party knew about how prone she was to cavities.

"How many have you had again?" Dustin adds, a sheepish smile on his face as Mariella scrunches up her nose and cheeks turn red.

"Wasn't it four?" Will asks, putting a finger to his cheek, acting if he was thinking.

"No, I think it was five!" Mike laughs, shaking his head. All the boys beginning to chuckle at Mariella's unimpressed expression.

"It was actually six. And they were my baby teeth! So..." Mariella defends, her voice trailing off at the end when she realizes how stupid she sounded. "Oh Christ!" She groans, shaking her head and walking off from the boys.

Her mind still plagued with what had happened in the Wheeler's living room. Mike's mind being the same.