Chapter 34

The Riders were getting ready to leave for Dramillion island. Though Eos was finally sure she was doing the right thing, Viggo was still in the back of her head. Her heart felt heavy when she thought about him. All alone, injured, in that cold cave. Eos should feel sorry, but the only place her mind could go to was thinking that he deserved it. That he deserved having to suffer a little. Look at what was going on in her life right now. She was basically pronounced a general, something she had been resenting her hole life. And the worst part was, that she couldn't talk to anyone about it, because they needed to focus on the battle and on finding the King of Dragons. And she couldn't talk about Viggo, because if she would, then someone would surely go find him and execute him and as much as she hated him, she didn't want that either.

As they were about to take flight, Eos' father stopped them. "Eos wait!" he called after her.

"Dad? What's going on?" Eos asked, sending a silent prayer that he would tell her to stay home because it was too dangerous. All she really wanted right now was to curl up in her bed and cry. Cry for hours. Cry so loudly that her father and brother would hear and come talk to her. But Eos' bad luck was resistant.

"Your uncle just told me! We will, of course, have to postpone the ceremony and we will need to talk about some details of your new job, but the commanders already know, so you can take as many men as you need. By ship or by dragon, whatever your strategy is."

Hiccup looked at his best friend questioningly. "Eos, what is your father talking about?"

She gave a deep sigh. This was exactly what she had been trying to avoid. "As soon as a lense is passed on, the position of the former owner is passed on too. The lense we looked at was my uncles. I'm the general now." Eos looked at her father. "I'll take Dusty and her troops."

"They are already waiting for you. Good luck, Eos. I'm proud of you." And with that her father walked away, leaving her with the aftermath of that major truth bomb.

When Eos turned to look back at Hiccup his eyes were wide with shock and he seemed speechless. "Hiccup, please don't do this," Eos begged.

"I'm sorry, I'm just... I don't know, reacting? This happened so quickly." He tried to sound as unfazed as possible but they both knew he failed horribly in that department. "Look, for now, let's take advantage of it. It is a good thing that we have more resources to help us out with the Flyers."

"Yeah, you're right. Let's focus on the positive side." Eos said. And she really did want to do that.