Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14-

Mike's POV

I shook my head slowly, a small smile plastered to my face as I produced a small black, felt case.

"No. Because I need to do this right now, before someone steals you away from me."

I opened the little square case slowly, revealing a silver engagement ring. It hadn't cost me a penny, but if it had, it would have cost a couple really pretty pennies.

I cleared my throat as Raven began to shake her head back in forth, while she covered her mouth with her hand, "Raven Christine Byrd, will you marry me?"

Raven stopped shaking, stopped moving, and if I looked close enough, maybe even stopped breathing. Her eyes were the only thing that would tell me what she was thinking; surprised, excited, or she just wasn't able to feel anything yet.

I looked down, and started to close the box when Raven dropped down to the floor in front of me, and put her hands on either side of my face, making me look at her.

Raven connected her lips to mine, almost instantly, and threw her arms around my neck, causing me to fall backwards onto the carpet.

I slowly kissed her back, my hands moving to land on her lower back, feeling the soft skin that revealed itself to the ecstatic air around us.

Raven began to thread her fingers through my hair until we heard something meow. Raven tilted her head to look back, seeing a grey kitten laying there, purring. We both began to laugh softly when we heard a car honk outside.

Raven held out her left hand, allowing me to put the vintage ring onto her finger. We both smiled as we heard another honk from outside.

I pulled the kitten aside so we could get to our feet again, looking out the window to see my future father-in-law standing against the side of the U-Haul truck.

"We should get on the road babe. If we wait any--" I turned from the window to see Raven with tears tracking down her face, she covered her mouth with one hand while staring at the ring on her left ring finger.

I went over to her, and cradle her against my chest, being mindful of the kitten still in my arms.

"Baby, you don't have to wear it if you don't want to. It's early, I know it is. But listen to me okay?"

Raven nodded, and I placed my hand on her cheek, looking into her big, beautiful eyes.

"I love you past recognition. I always have and I always will. It's to the extent that there is no going back. There isn't any thoughts of divorce, of kids, of death or bad luck. There's you and only you. You are always in my mind. At work, on the road, in my dreams, and even when I'm with you."

I watched as she teared up again, letting her emotions get to her and me, my eyes began to water also. I brushed away her tears with my thumb, pressing my forehead against hers softly. We stood quietly until the kitten finally peeped up and demanded he be let down. Raven and I laughed as she cleaned herself up, pulling her phone out of her pocket and answering it.

I took her hand and began to walk downstairs, the kitten securely back in my hand so he wouldn't fall down the steep stairs.

I started to grab a couple bags when Raven began to laugh quietly. I looked at her and she shook her head, signalling it was just her dad.

I got outside, and Mr. Byrd started smiling proudly. He walked up to me and hugged me, patting me on my back.

"It's good that you've finally done it. I thought you were going to ask her at the funeral. It scared the shit out of me and Sue. She teared up right then and there, but I held her back, just in case it was something else."

I laughed softly and shook my head, "Well since that's all this is, I'm glad I asked your permission! I can't have Mrs. Sue getting all emotional. She can save that for the wedding." I winked at Mr. Byrd, and walked to my car, piling the stuff in carefully.

I heard Raven giggle from behind me as she wrapped her arms around my torso, "I guess this means you have rights to call him dad now."

I laughed and nodded my head, "I guess so."

I shut the car door and hugged Raven, kissing her softly as dad drove through the yard, waiting at the driveway for us.

We climbed into the car, Raven sitting with her feet up on the dashboard, and my little proposing kitten stretched over her legs. I took Raven's hand in mine as I turned onto the highway, leading Raven away from her old home and to a new one. Filled with love and new beginnings. 

As I though of this I finally realized that I'm incapable of living without her.