Chapter 15

'They're falling in love' Janson states in a monotone as he watches the monitors, clearly dissatisfied.

'Who, Mr Janson?'

Janson sighs as he turns around, 'The girl and the non-immune boy'.

'Sir, wasn't that the plan?'

Janson faces his employee with raised eyebrows, seemingly is disbelief of her stupidity.

'The plan,' he starts, 'was to send Thomas down there, so we could have the girl take care of him, so they fall in love', he stresses 'they', 'and that way we could test what the increase of hormones does to his body, whether it has any effect on his immunity at all'

The employee looks somewhat perplexed in response, embarrassed by her lack of knowledge.

'But out of all the other immune boys she could've fallen in love with, she choses the one that's headed towards death anyway' Janson says, frustration loaded in his voice.

'There's nothing we can test on him, and even if we do, it'll be useless'

'Should we liquidate the boy, sir?'

Janson pauses for a moment.

'No...' he says after a while, deep in thought.

'Let's give them some more time. Who knows, Thomas might finally start doing what he went in there for, after all'

***

Minho POV

I'd been laying in Newt's bed for a good half an hour now, after he'd left our get-together to talk to Alex earlier that evening.

He'd been keeping his mouth tightly shut about any of his encounters with the subject of his fancy for the past week, but after he subtly snuck out about an hour ago there was no way he wasn't going to spill it all tonight.

That's his fault for making it way too unnecessarily obvious, after all.

So when he finally entered his room after I'd gotten quite tired of bouncing a self-made object similar to a tennis ball on the ceiling countless times, I was just a tad too excited and jumped up in a second.

The sight I was greeted with did not seem as excited.

I was about to attack him with some questions that were probably slightly too personal for comfort, but shut my mouth when I noticed his expression.

He looked so tired.

I'd been with my friend for quite some time now, been through some rough times in the Glade but never had I seen him like this.

When he noticed me, he just sighed deeply before speaking; 'Leave'

His usual witty, joking way of talking was nowhere to be heard as I genuinely felt like I needed to leave.

But he was my best friend, and if there's anything we got out of this hellhole it would be our friendship.

So there was no way I'd be quietly leaving him here all by himself.

'You okay?' I said carefully, the best I could manage.

He looks up, probably about to tell me to shuck off before seemingly deciding against it and looking at the ceiling with his brows furrowed together in distress.

'I don't get her' he manages with a sigh, and even if Alex wasn't the only girl around here it would've been obvious who he'd been referring to.

I watch him as he leans with his back against the wall.