Meeting the Count, a man of power and intrigue

Beginne am Anfang

        He waved his farewell and asked, "When are you returning?"

        "I don't know. Soon."

        She watched as he dismounted and walked to her.

        "I stay tonight with a friend two doors from the blacksmith," he said, pointing toward it. "There is an old press outside the door. Send for me and  I will take you back."

        "No, Uberto, you have already been too kind."

        "Then until we meet again, Arrivederci."

       Carina smiled and again disappeared behind the huge door. Her heart was suddenly heavy, and she took a moment to compose herself before facing Count Giancarlo. The short valet who had opened the door ushered her to a sumptuously furnished chamber. He bade her sit down on one of the ornately carved plush chairs.

        Soon, a well dressed, stalwart figure strode into the room. He stared at her, and she stared back, transfixed by his presence until she finally remembered to rise from her chair and bow slightly in his direction. She had already taken note of his appearance. Garbed in black, he stood tall and straight with a full head of cropped dark hair barely tinged with grey. His manner bespoke power and wealth and more impressively of strength and vitality. He moved with the suppleness of a youth.

        "Carina, Tiberio's daughter. Is it really you?"

        She nodded without speaking.    

        "How you have grown since I last saw you. Had you not given your name I would not have known. Is all well with you, your brothers, and your father?"

       "We are alive, sir. All of our livestock has been taken, including our horses. At this very moment the manor is under siege. We cannot hold out much longer. That is why I came. My father spoke of you and I learned from others where I might find you."

        "He sent you alone on such a hazardous journey?"

         "No, he would not. It is without his permission that I am here."

     Carina saw that Count Giancarlo looked again at her, an appraising scrutiny making her fully conscious of her femininity. She was suddenly aware he saw her as a woman, a woman of more than passing interest. There was something else she read in his eyes, though she could not at the moment say what it was. 

      "Plainly you want my help," he said. "Tell me exactly the situation, the number against you, the number defending, and most important, what you are offering for my assistance."

        Carina hesitated, afraid what she could offer would not be enough.

        Giancarlo regarded her and his visage seemed to soften. "Excuse my directness. Sometimes I am too impatient. You have traveled all day to reach me and are no doubt tired and hungry. You need food and rest. Tomorrow we will talk."

        "Thank you, Count Giancarlo. You are most gracious. I am not hungry though rest is welcome."

        "I have a special suite for honored visitors I am sure you will find to your liking. Come, I will lead you to it."

        Carina stepped quickly to keep up with his stride along a wide corridor that led to a locked double wide door. Giancarlo opened it with a key, and with pride showed her the sumptuous suite. Carina could hardly believe her eyes. A great canopy bed stood near the center of the room, and toward the back wall rose a large granite cistern with water spilling from its edge. Beautiful embroidered draperies and lush tapestries of landscapes and seminude women decorated the walls. A bowl of fruit was on the table.

         "I hope you appreciate my taste, my young one," he said. "You may enjoy refreshing yourself in the water, and there is an excellent wardrobe in the closets you may choose from. As my guest they are yours. The little bell here," he picked it up, "you may ring if I may be of any other service."  His gaze lingered on her as he spoke.

        "Thank you, Count Giancarlo," she answered, her eyes careful not to meet his. "I appreciate what you can do for us."

        "Yes, Carina, there is much I can do. Goodnight until we meet later." He exited and slowly closed the door.

        Carina sighed. She looked around the luxurious suite. What had she gotten herself into?

Stronghold: the residence of a lord, Count, Duke, etc. It was the strongest fortified building inside the walls of a town or manor.

Arrivederci: Good-bye in Italian. The language of the time was a mixture of common Latin, (which became Italian), early German, and early French.

This site in Nice, France, on the Mediterranean coast is real. It is situated on a large plateau overlooking the modern city. Even now, there remain some ruins of life lived there long ago. Today, you can take a lift up--so much easier than trying to attack the walled city while dodging arrows. A girl like Carina may well have lived in those perilous times. Appreciate your comments and votes.