Chapter 5

That same morning, Crowley woke up and walked down to the dining room for breakfast, as per usual, only to find that, unlike the usual, the table was set for two.
The prisoner.
Angrily, he swiped a paw at the crockery in front of him, sending bowls, plates, and cutlery flying.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen next door, Newt and Shadwell were listening to the commotion unfold.
"Stay calm, let me do the talking," said Newt, not feeling very calm whatsoever.

Crowley stormed into the kitchen.
"You're making him breakfast?" he snarled.
"We thought you might enjoy the company," said Newt.
"Before ye say anything," said Shadwell, "I just want to assure you that I played no part in this foolish venture. Honestly, making him breakfast, offering our services, giving him a suite in the East Wing! Whatever next?"
Crowley's nostrils flared. "You gave him a bedroom?"
"Well, yes," Newt admitted, "but if this man is the one who can break the curse, then maybe we can start by using breakfast to win him over! You know what they say: the way to a man's heart is through his stomach!"
"That's the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard!" said Crowley. "You want me to charm the prisoner?"
"You have to try," Newt urged. "We're getting closer and closer to the day where the last petal will fall, and we'll be stuck like this forever!"
"He's the father of a common thief!" said Crowley. "Where do you think his son got it from?"
"Children don't always grow up to be like their fathers, for better or for worse," said a teapot by the name of Madame Tracy, who had entered the room during the conversation.
Crowley looked at her, and gave a half-growl, half-sigh. He knew she was right, of course, even if he was extremely reluctant to have anything to do with the newcomer whatsoever.

So that's how Crowley found himself standing outside the door of the East Wing bedroom, the castle staff crowded around behind him. He knocked firmly.
"You will join me for breakfast. That's an order," he said.
"Gently, Crowley," Madame Tracy chided. "The man lost his freedom and his son in one night!"
"Yes, I can imagine he's feeling extremely distressed right now," Newt added.
"Exactly."

Aziraphale, meanwhile, was putting a plan into action, tying blankets and bedsheets together into a long, thick rope.
"Just a minute!" he called when he heard knocking.

"There he is!" said Newt. "Now remember to be gentle."
"Calm," said Shadwell.
"Sweet," said Madame Tracy.
"And above all, charming," Newt finished.

Crowley took a deep breath.
"Join me for breakfast, perhaps?" he asked, trying to sound as casual as possible.

Aziraphale, hearing the Beast's voice, turned and quickly shoved the blanket-rope out of sight.
"From what I recall," he said, "you treated Ad- my son, and then myself, as your prisoner, and now you're asking me to have breakfast with you as if I'm your esteemed guest! Forgive me but I don't quite understand."

Crowley began to emit a low growl, drawing himself up to his full height.
"He's losing it!" said Shadwell, hiding underneath the nearest display stand.
"Oh dear," said Newt.
"I told you, to join me for breakfast!" he hissed.
"And I'm saying no, thank you!" said the prisoner. Somehow his level tone made Crowley even angrier.
"So go ahead and starve!" he yelled. "See if I care!" He began to walk away, but stopped and fixed his gaze on Newt.
"If he doesn't eat with me, then he doesn't eat at all," he said. "Got that?" And then he was off, out of the East Wing, and back to his room.

Perhaps the only place in the castle grounds colder than outside was Crowley's bedroom. He went in there when the night came, but these days he rarely slept.
Crowley walked over to his bedside table and picked up a handheld mirror.
"Show me the prisoner," he said to it.
The mirror's glass swirled, until his reflection was replaced with an image of the man in the East Wing. He was sitting on the bed, and instead of fearful, like Crowley expected, he seemed almost wistful, gazing out the window, perhaps thinking about the life that was taken away from him.