Chapter 21 - Weak One

21.

Weak One

            Des awoke from a partial slumber of no more than an hour before she heard the cries of misery again. The night was rough. He cried through most of it breaking only during feeding, sometimes not even then. She was having a hard time breastfeeding and though she was changing wet diapers, she wasn't sure of how much milk he was ingesting. This worried her.

            She peered down into the white bassinette to find his tiny limbs flailing about miserably. Her heart broke. During the last week, he would cry for hours. And she just couldn't get him to stop. Her body was sore, tired and she was running out of ideas. She lifted the trembling child from the bassinette.

             "You're keeping him awake, my love," she whispered as she draped the infant over her shoulder. She hurried down the stairs clutching the screaming child. "Shhh... It's okay." She felt his diaper and it was dry. "I don't know what to do," she said in a quiet frustration. No sleep was taking a toll.  She had sung every lullaby that she could think of. So for a lack of a better idea, she began to sing a Springsteen classic.

            "That's a horrible song to be singing to a new born."

            Des gasped and she turned around to find Michael sitting in the arm chair in the darkness. He was wearing the same clothes he had on the night before. Sitting on the side table next to him, was an empty cognac bottle. "What are you doing, Michael?"

            "Listening to you warp the kids mind with your political anthem."

            "Warp the kid's mind? Ronald Regan couldn't grasp the meaning behind that song."

             "Kid's gonna be storming the Whitehouse by his teens."

            Des paused. "Incredible."

            "What's that?"

            "How you've managed to destroy that song for me in just one breath." She shook her head. "You know, I've sung every baby song I know."

            "No explanation necessary."

            "I'm trying to be a good mother." She said more defensively than she wanted to.

            "Des-"                                                              

            "I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be and just won't..." Her voice cracked.

            He watched her mini meltdown. "Save your speech for the Republicans, okay? I'm just messin' around."

            "I'm sorry."

            "What's wrong with him?"

            "Lena said he's just colicky."

            "Coli-what?"

            "Colicky. It's when a baby is constantly fussy, gassy... irritable."

            "Aren't they all?"

            "Some are worse than others and colicky babies are usually fussy for no reason. She's sure it'll pass."

            "You two best friends now?"

            "What? No Michael, she's a doctor, who's not getting paid."