n i n e

I tighten my fists. I can see Vicky bury his face in his hands and Hazelle pull Posy closer to her. I stay standing, my eyes on the door as one, only one person walks through the door. Posy's face, oh god her small face.S he looks at the person and tried to get out of Hazelle's grip, Vick makes a noise. I let myself lookup. His grey eyes lock him mine.

"Gale."

------------------------------ Gale's POV ----------------------------

    She stands in front of me, not looking any better than she did hours ago. Her dark hair in a messy braid, her clothes hung over her figure as if she was a stick, her hands in tight fists, grey eyes locked with mine. 

The pain in my chest doesn't fade, it only begins to hurt worse at the sight of what would be my mother. At the sight of two children, I recognized as Posy and Vick. The mutt version of my mother had grey hair, the kind eyes I remembered, and wore a simple dress with leggings. Vicky, his mutt looks nothing like he did. His usually light hair was now dark and his grey eyes were brown with a slight green fade, he wore a T-shirt and jeans. I look at the sweet little dirty blonde haired girl who is struggling to get out of the arms of the mutt version of my mother. Oh, how beautiful Posy would have been. Her blue eyes were on me, her small little hands reaching towards me. The dirty blonde hair I used to braid was flowing over her shoulders. She looked so much like my mother had years ago.

"What do you want." My eyes find her again. 

"Answers." Is all I manage to say.

"Momma let me go!" I can see in the corner of my eye the small mutt was still struggling. It was desperate to get out of my mo- the older mutt's arms.

"Why would I tell you anything."

"Because I'm not the bad guy."

"You kidnapped your family. You hurt me." The mutt's voice cracks. I can barely breathe from the pain in my chest. 

"I kidnapped mutts for information," I say.

"What do you want to know? How they took you from me again? How they are mad at me, at you? How you made a promise? How much your mother is working to take care of me? How much your siblings miss you? How I miss you.

"Stop," I demand. 

"You promised me." The mutt ways, it's voice cracked and broken. "You promised you'd stay."

(Flashback)

"Gale, will you stay with me?" Katniss's voice is tired and quiet. 

  I nod my head slightly and walk back to my best friend. I let her guide me so I am laying down next to her. I wrap my arms around Katniss as her body tangles into mine and her head falls against my chest. We lay there for a few seconds. I take a deep breath and say one word. One word that was a promise, one that I would keep for as long as I could. 

"Always."

(End of flashback)

"I made a promised to a friend, not a mutt," I say back, snapping back into reality. 

   Something changes on its face. I don't know what exactly but something changes and I watch as the older mutt, stands. The smallest mutt was now in the arms of what as supposed to be Vicky. Not once had it stopped it's struggling, not once.

"Katniss, he's not Gale." The older mutts whispers.

Your not my mother. I wanted to say. You're not really my siblings, you're not really Katniss.