Ch. 28:The Strega

Start from the beginning

Niklaus is silent and I ask,"What if it had been Marcel instead of you and he had made the decision to poison me?"

Niklaus spits,"I would have ripped his rib cage from his body."

I nod and say,"That's exactly how Davina feels. That's how I would feel."

Nik sighs and says,"I'm sorry, love."

I reply,"Don't tell me. Tell Davina."

Nik and I head back to the compound and Nik says,"Love, I just want to keep you all safe."

I place my hand on his cheek as I say,"I know, Nicklaus. And I commend you for trying in your own way but think things through thoroughly beforehand."

I hear Sophie's footsteps entering the compound and Nik and I head back down to the living room. Sophie is looking at the drawings of Davina's and Elijah is sitting in a chair.

Elijah says,"So you have stolen the remains of the very person that Davina's been drawing for months. Would you care to explain this startling coincidence?"

Sophie replies,"I can't. I didn't even know who Celeste Dubois was until I--."

She is cut off when the house starts to shake violently, like the earthquake from earlier. Sophie looks alarmed, but Klaus, Elijah, and Rebekah seem merely irritated. I grip onto Nik's arm as the earthquake happens and he places a calming hand over mine.

Sophie asks,"Was that Davina?"

Klaus replies,"Charming little habit she's developed."

Sophie asks,"And the earthquake I felt today?"

Rebekah replies,"Also Davina. And, she's taken to vomiting dirt."

Sophie says,"Oh. We have a huge problem. I thought that we had more time, but we need to complete the Harvest now."

Klaus replies,"Says the desperate witch, conveniently."

She replies,"I'm serious! That earthquake you just felt is a preview of the disaster movie that is about to hit us."

Elijah asks,"Why should we believe you?"

I sit in Niklaus' lap very intrigued.

Sophie says,"You've met Davina, you know her story. For months now, she's been holding all the power of the three girls sacrificed in the Harvest ritual. A force that was meant to flow through her and back into the earth. One person was never meant to hold that much power. It's tearing her apart, and it will take us down with it."

I walk with Father Kieran and Nik through the French Quarter.

Klaus says,"We need to prepare. According to Sophie Deveraux, as Davina self-destructs, she'll cycle through four stages that represent the four elements that bound together the Harvest."

Father Kieran asks,"The earthquake?"

Nik says," Yes. Earth stage comes first."

I say,"Then comes wind, and since each stage is more intense than the last, let's just say she'll blow the roof off the French Quarter."

Klaus says,"Then after the wind is water. Rain, flood..."

Kieran asks,"How bad?"

Nik says,"Quite bad, actually, but that's not the worst of it."

I say,"The last stage is fire, and since it's the last..."

Nik finishes,"It will be by far the worst. But, I didn't take over this town to watch it burn to the ground."