25 - idky... - pt.3

Start from the beginning

I notice her outfit for the first time. To be honest, I'd half expected her to show up in a tux or a suit. But I'm surprisingly wrong. She is wearing a grey champagne dress. Possibly the same designer as mine, it has a similar style and fit to her body.

She'd gone to the hair salon as well. Her hair is shorter and not as dark, with blonde highlights in an ombre. Her hair isn't in ringlets like yesterday either but in big waves framing her face. And she is wearing make-up and heels. Even her eyebrows are manicured.

I'm not used to her looking so...femme.

I've always seen Charli as beautiful but now she is...a girl I'd never have had the confidence to approach in a million years. It's Charli, but not Charli. Sort of how I'd felt looking in my mirror.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I hope she's done this for herself and not to please me. But I have a strong feeling it's exactly why she is doing it. I'm no good for Charli and it's breaking my heart.

I'm a terrible person.

"You look...stunning," I say.

She grins. "I know."

Then she reaches up to pull me into a kiss. I contemplate pulling away, but it would be hurtful so I don't stop her. And then I can't help it, my eyes flick to Ari. Our eyes meet and she looks away.

I pull away from Charli's kiss as early as polite but slip my hand into hers. I don't have to hold her hand, but I want to. I'm going to have to tell Charli what happened and she's not going to let me touch her afterward. I enjoy holding her hand. It's warm and calming. And it doesn't hurt, it never does. Even right now I think it might be the only thing keeping me together.

Then I turn my attention back to Ari.

"When's Apollo getting here?" I ask.

She looks at me briefly and averts her gaze. She's not being honest with me. The spoons and ice cream are sitting behind her on the counter. Why would she have it out before he arrived? She'd said he'd be here any minute. But I know she'd brought it for me. Why else would she have knocked on my door?

When she saw I was going on a date with Charli she'd only said what she did to hurt me. I'm sure of it. Which also makes me believe she'd seduced me to hurt me or out of jealousy. Not because she loves me. And I'd let her because I still love her.

I'm angry and I want to call her bluff.

She shrugs her shoulders.

"You said he was a few minutes away, didn't you?" I ask her then I look at Charli. "We're early, right? Do you mind if we wait for Apollo?"

"Why would you wait for Apollo?" Ari snaps, "You can just go."

"I haven't seen him in a while," I say. "It'd be nice to say hi."

She stares blankly at me.

"It's alright, I don't mind waiting," Charli says. "We don't have dinner for a couple of hours."

She looks between me and Charli. "Let me check my texts."

Then she straightens and walks into her room.

"You don't mind, do you?" I ask.

I squeeze her hand in mine. I'm also stalling because I don't want to leave this apartment just yet. Then Charli and I will be alone. And then I have to hurt her again.

Charli shrugs. "It's fine with me."

Ari walks out with a clunker of a cellphone. It appears she'd upgraded to an older but sturdier model. She looks up from her screen.

"He was already on his way. He'll be here in a little bit." She says coolly. "You don't have to stay and wait."

"We'll wait, it's cool," Charli says.

I'm not sure if she knows what is going on here, but she's being strangely calm and helpful. It's her politeness that's worrying me a bit, she's not known for it. I can't help but wonder if she has her own hidden agenda.

She struts over to the couch and sits down. Then casually crosses her legs and leans back as if she owns it. Which Charli and I had spent a bit of time on it, more than Ari had.

"How was Bordeaux?" Charli asks.

Ari frowns at her and then crosses her arms.

"Fine," She says.

Charli and Ari aren't fake. They aren't going to pretend to like each other for my sake. They both have strong personality types. I'm now a little concerned at my choice to wait for Apollo.

I eye Charli's dress and purse. What are the chances she has her knife on her? Her dress is tight, and her purse no more than a clutch.

"Fine, that's all? It's beautiful this time of year," Charli says. "What part? And what did you do? Did you go to any vineyards? How long were you there for again?"

I stare a Charli. What is with the inquisition?

"West, wine country. I have family with small vineyard outside of Saint-Émilion," She says, "I was in Bordeaux all last week. And I mostly stayed inside."

"That's right, you took pretty boy." Charli grins and leans forward on the couch. "I guess with a guy like Apollo, there wouldn't be much reason for you to leave the house?"

Then she wiggles her eyebrows suggestively.

"Bet he kept you real busy."

"Charli, d-..." I start to admonish her.

She looks up from the couch and stares pointedly at me. I regret saying anything the moment her eyes meet mine. There is anger and hurt in them. I swallow my words.

Ari is glaring at Charli and opens her mouth to speak. Her phone vibrates and she looks down at it.

"Apollo is here." She says.

That was...fast.

Whatever she was about to say, Ari chooses not to say it. Instead, she walks over to the door and opens it.

Apollo is standing in the doorway.

He smiles.

Again, he looks like he's just walked off the runway and there isn't a hair out of place. It's sickening. He steps in then immediately pulls Ari into an embrace, he kisses the top of her head and shoves his nose in her hair.

It's weird and creepy. I mean I do it but it's not weird when I do it—mostly.

"Mmm...you have a smell of wonderfulness." He says.

Uck.

I can't remember why I'd believe this was a brilliant plan. Had she been lying, or had she not been? She'd gotten her phone she could have texted him. But he'd gotten here so quickly. Maybe he'd been in the neighborhood?

Or does it mean she'd seduced me knowing he would be here any moment? Had she gotten lost in the moment like me? I'd rather believe it was a moment of passion and not her manipulating the situation. I scrutinize her face and try to figure out which one it is. 

TBC

TBC...Chapter 10 continued

I'm updating on Saturday as well. I had an extra-long update I decided to split it instead of waiting for the whole chunk on Sat....therefore look no cliffhanger.