Nearly there I thought to Tony, who I had lost track of along the way.

Are you sure? He asked me concerned.

Of course! I muttered back, I would be foolish to not be able to recognise that……

Smell

Dark shaped legs lay in my sight, a barrel of a body, I guessed its body was bay and I could see a few white splotches that were barely seen in the light, almost hidden by the patches of moonlight appearing through gaps in the roof of the forest. I halted in my tracks.

No…How could I have been wrong? I stared helplessly at the heap, eyes wide as the blood slowly trailed down a wound in its head, close to one of its eyes and nose….

I felt my heart pound.

Cole, hello are you there Cole? I heard Tony’s thoughts and realised I must have shut down for a while.

Cole, what is it?

It was a doe I said simply, a catch in my voice which I sort of expected.

I’ve been tricked Tony! I yelled clenching my teeth angrily. I rotated to the right and quickly sped off.

Calm down, Tony reassured me (failing) I can’t hear their thoughts so maybe…

Don’t deny it! I exclaimed skidding as my nose led me to another familiar scent, they are still here! I added speeding along a new path which went over a wide gap.

I almost cleared it, my paws dug into the side of the hill and I scrambled to pull myself up and over. I succeeded and kept on running full pelt.

*********************************

Standing by the foot of a large maple tree, I came in sight of a ledge, a small figure; shadowed in white was staggering dangerously close to the edge….

I could see a smooth outline, with a round obvious curve near her neck….

“Luna!” I called hastily, “stay right there!” I yelled beginning to pick my sprint, going to the left where the ledge was coming out of.

I ran wildly up the hill a flash of lightning cracked the sky. I jumped; skidding downhill as I dug my claws in, rain began to leak from the dark sky, thunder joining in with large bangs.

I could see my forelegs quiver as I pulled myself up the hill and towards the place. By the time I was up the rest of the way I still had the rest of the cliff to go…..

As I made my way along the top of the cliff I came to a sudden realisation…

She was gone!

“Luna!” I called, much louder than before. I heard a cut off scream and a crack…..

This sickening sound was followed by gentle footsteps and low growling….

I dashed to the edge of the cliff, gazed over, my black and white view pictured a figure lying awkwardly on the ground, back contorted unusually, arm bent so that it hung by her side. A dark liquid splattered on the side of a round shape which seemed to be her head, dripping around an oval of a faint grey nearly haloing her head.

Luna! I cried staring helplessly at her, she must have fallen.

Tony… I whimpered feebly help! Luna’s fallen and….

My thoughts were cut off, for lightning caused four large hairy forms to creep out of the darkness…

The Sumanitu Taku! I watched them as they came closer; one licked the blood on her face.

Get away from her! I yelled paws nearly slipping. Foolishly I had to back one step away from the edge.

I quickly readjusted my position and came back to the view….. What were they…?

Oh no….

I could no longer see her; she was hidden behind the monsters, which were on top of her lifeless body.

STOP IT! I roared in my mind, they took no notice and continued to gnaw hungrily. Each snapping of their teeth worse than the previous bite and I dared not imagine how they were ripping her apart. The smell was even more unbearable now I knew that it was her blood that stained the usually fresh forest air.

No…… I breathed shaking my head along with the rest of my body…No…. Luna!

I felt myself paralysed completely, I couldn’t move, the only thing I let my ears take in was the sound of thunder and lightning having a blast. Eyes wider than they were before I was unable to move them; my breathing was shallow but regular….

before I knew it my body began to move on its own. I found myself turning around, my tail managed to get in between my legs and like a cowardly dog I ran.