OPS: Rodham and Hodgkin

Start from the beginning

"I used up most of supplies in Cuba." Dorothy failed to take Castro's life or to cure him. It was harder for her when they were in human form. She and the rookie put up a good fight though and the sorcery they produced helped save America. "And just so you know, hawthorn is better for wands than stakes unless you're up against a rather newborn vampire."

"Sorry, Doc."

The new blood serum hadn't been in practice long. Hillary practically worshiped Dr. Hodgkin and Mma Ngoyi before their latest discoveries in cures for vampirism and lycanthropy. There was a chance that the RhV serum could kill Chairman Khrushchev rather than cure him. She was torn. The world would be better without him and Castro. Hillary felt guilty for feeling the relief she had when her own protection shield misdirected her mentor's shot with the injectable since she couldn't be sure of the effect.

Their blown covers were enough to scare Castro, but he was still free to inflict his evil will at a later time. Khrushchev would be extra cautious. That's why Sergei warned his secret operatives that it was likely a slave werewolf might be by their side that day. The lycans were White Guard slaves to the phalanx of vampire Communists called the Red Upyr. Their lives of the White Guard were long, at least two hundred years. Most of them were killed at war so no one was quite sure if they were immortal or not.

"They'll be able to detect us long before we see them. Time to get those shields cast. We're going to add glamours this time. If they do see us, we'll look like a couple of roe deer until we cast another spell."

"Can we mask our scent too?"

She impressed Dorothy with the suggestion. Hillary was turning out to be a prodigy in the Craft. The doctor hadn't mentored anyone who took to it so quickly in many years. The tradition was to tutor a new recruit for four years or longer if necessary. It all depended on how well they did on their challenges.

"Doc?"

"What is it now, Page Rodham?"

Dorothy rubbed her palms together rapidly until they burned and a barely perceptible pink aura glowed. She held her flat opened hands in front of the top of her head. As she moved them down towards the ground, she became less opaque and a translucent doe appeared to be merged with her. To anyone else's eyes, she looked like a solid, living doe.

"I was just wondering... What happens if the cure kills him?" Hillary copied the glamour spell of her teacher. Her doe avatar was still spotted and perfectly conveyed a being that wasn't interested in harm should the enemy see her.

"The world will be even safer." There was a numbness to Dorothy's words. Their job was to eliminate evil. That meant tracking and curing only certain types of vampires like the Red Upyr. They were supposed to free any enslaved peoples whether they were monsters or not. The goal was to cure them if they were deemed dangerous as of the Dominion Act of 1945. Even demons were able to pass into the realm as long as they followed the rules. But sometimes, killing was inevitable. Treatments didn't always react the way the Cryptozoology Division expected. Self defense or the defense of others was the most frequently cited exemption.

"But won't there be another one to take his place? Will it really be safer?"

"It's hard to say. He certainly has followers. People get elected or appointed. The best comfort I can offer you right now is that OPS drastically reduced the numbers of Red Upyr. It's unlikely we'll get all of them. And don't forget, evil comes in many forms."

They could hear the notorious Volga getting closer. About half a kilometer away. Khrushchev, Sergei, a driver of unknown genetics, and a werewolf slave would be near them in seconds.