Twenty

Jack

"Wait, where are you going?" Zach quickly asked, turning on his side on the bed, facing me. My hand remained on the doorknob as I sighed.
"Zach.. you're an amazing guy and all.." I began, cutting short as I heard sheets ruffle behind me. Moments after Zach was standing behind me, his hand to the bridge of his nose.

"Jack, please, don't start this. I know how every situation ends with that one sentence. Why are you even leaving? Was it last night? We didn't have to have–"

I bit my lip, turning. "No, no, it's not that. It's not you, at all. You're truly an amazing guy, I just.. it's too soon.."

Zach stared at me longingly, his brows inching closer. "You're gonna try to get Mark back, aren't you?" Air caught in my throat, my body tensing as he stepped forward.
"Jack, listen to me. I thought you were over him. You said you dated him from high school, correct?" He didn't wait for my reply. "Those relationships never last. They're childish. You're a grown man now, you're in college! You should find new people, like me! I can love you more than Mark ever did!"

Zach's tone grew desperate, causing my heart to lurch. I'm hurting him, aren't I?
"I understand that, but.. You don't know Mark the way I do. I still love him. And I hurt him. He doesn't deserve to be left in the dark, I need to be there for him."

Zach stood quietly, his hands dropping to his sides, leaving him in a slight shrug. "So.. you're just gonna do the same to me?"

I frowned as he continued. "Leave me in the dark instead? Y'know, I was happy with you, genuinely happy. I thought somebody cared about me," he spoke. My eyes narrowed.
"So many people care about you. Did you see that party? How many people talked to you? And I will forever care about you, this doesn't mean we won't ever talk again."

Zach inched closer. "People saying hi to me at a party isn't really considered having friends. They were drunk off their minds, anyway. They only notice me since I'm the tall dude who hangs with Wade and Felix."

I sighed, lowering my gaze. I forgot about those two. "Zach.. I promise you it isn't like that. I can even help you find new people, I-"

I cut short again, breathing sharply as Zach's hand met my wrist, bringing it upward in a tight grip. I connected gazes with him, he was blinking tears away in anger.
"I don't want new people, I want you, Jack! Is that too much to ask for?! What happened over the night that made you hate me?!"

I stiffened, grunting before using my free hand to push him back. I watched as he stepped back, quickly covering his eyes as he sobbed.
"I just.. want.. you.."

My chest heaved in deep breaths as I stood quietly, unaware of what to do. I gulped, willingly breaking the silence.
"Zach. You said I'm a grown man. Going off that, I should be able to make my own decisions. You should too, of course, but not by forcing someone and being violent to get what you want." He looked at me, his cheeks a pale pink from tears.

"I still love you, okay? I do. But Mark and I have been through so much together.." I closed my eyes tightly, brief pictures of our moments together flashing at me.

Us both playing GTA back at my old apartment.
Us kissing in the hallway, then walking off and laughing.
Us during lunch, Mark kneeling down to help me pick stuff up.
Wade confronting me in the alleyway before Mark came to my aid.
Mark walking into class late, the first broad moment I had feelings for him.

I reopened my eyes, a tear slowly falling. "And I cant just let it all go. All couples have arguments, and this one with Mark just.. got over our heads. I want him back, and it's nothing against you. If anything, you helped me through this.. showed me things I didn't know."

Zach looked down quietly as I studied his expression. He eyed the floor for a long moment before blinking, rubbing an eye, and smiling softly. His voice was quiet.
"..I understand. We both need to be happy, and obviously this isn't working between us. C-Can we still be friends, though?"

I smiled sadly, chuckling. "Duh, that's all I want." Zach nodded, rubbing an eye again before moving toward me quietly, causing me to slightly tense. Instead, he hugged me, gently. I relaxed. We stood quietly in each other's arms, sniffing.

Interjecting into the moment, my phone began vibrating on the bedside table near Zach's bed, causing both of us to look over. Zach sighed.
"Probably Mark, huh?"
I smiled at the thought, moving over to the table. Reaching for my phone, the number was unknown. Quirking an eyebrow, I hesitantly answered the call.

Zach stood behind me, watching quietly as I listened to the person on the other line. Time slowed down just then. The room around me became a dark void, Zach going with it. Everything was silent aside from the person on the phone. My heart sunk at the final words. I slowly hung up, my gaze fixated in front of me aimlessly. Turning toward Zach, my pupils shrinking, my heart racing, he caught my glance and grew worried. "Jack? Everything okay?"

I gulped, my lips parting in a murmured tone. "My mom's dead."