"Are there no physical records? No old books, movies, nothing?" Nandy was shocked.

"Yes, yes of course, but there are very few of us with the time to study something so menial. First, we must defeat the Lokians. Then, we must build lasting colonies. Perhaps, after that, we will revive our ancient culture."

Nandy had rifled through screens of historical events, and glossed over scant details of cultural traits relevant to present day Thewls, but he knew very little of their past. Since they had some time before reaching Soft Light, he asked Weh to educate him. Together, they both perused historical data, ancient mythologies, and past philosophies, which they promised to reintroduce when the time was right.

****

Sirt was eating in the mess hall when the agents walked in. She saw them and motioned for them to join. They received plates from the cook then sat next to each other across from her.

"You two are very different from the other Humans," Sirt said. "Are there different kinds of Humans?"

"No," Franklin smiled.

"Your equipment is also different...does this mean that you are not part of the Navy?"

"We work for a secret agency back on Earth," Adams said, nonchalantly.

"We have some experience in alien relations. The Bureau monitors alien activity in our solar system, but this is the first time we've ever made this level of contact," Franklin added.

"Normally, we just exchange messages, or maybe a few schematics and cultural or historical information," Adams explained.

"Sometimes, we exchange certain practices or pieces of functional technology. That's where our training and gear came from," Franklin continued.

The alien looked them over. "What other races are there?"

Adams and Franklin exchanged a glance. "Our area of expertise is Pseudo Exodermea, what we call Grays," Adams said, reluctantly.

Franklin gave Adams a dry look, but said, "They came to Earth on and off after their initial crash. It took decades, but we reached amicable terms."

"Not too long ago, we volunteered in an exchange program where five Grays came to The Bureau. The two of us and three other agents went to their ship," Adams revealed.

"Should we be discussing that," Franklin asked.

Adams ignored him and went on to say, "We never made it to their place of origin. What they asked of us was too demanding. We underwent some cybernetic surgery and gene therapy. What they wanted were splinter cells. Franklin and I were the only two who refused, so they dumped us in space where we had to be retrieved," Adams explained, stoically. "That was the end of that for us."

Franklin gave Adams a sideways glance. He chuckled and shook his head. Then, he looked to Sirt and shrugged.

"There are some other races of which we know, but you have to understand, knowing they exist, and knowing of them are two totally different things. I mean, consider what you knew of Humans before you met us, and compare it to what you know now."

"We're not so different," Sirt said.

The agents shrugged. Sirt asked if any of the races were hostile, if any were willing to lend a hand against the Lokians, and she was especially interested in new technology.

"We don't think any are a threat," Adams said.

"The Lokians are the scariest race we've ever seen, and with the weirdest tech," Franklin trailed off.