Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

The tunnel was too narrow to continue by vehicle. Everyone flipped on their gun lights. An uneasy moment past between the crew.

"We should turn back and try to help," Fitzpatrick complained.

"No, our goal was to get here," Korit said. "Finding–"

"Finding what?" DeReaux shouted. "More of your people just died."

"We have orders. Searching this place is all that matters. You must focus on our goal, or everything was in vain," the driver admonished.

Whether they agreed or didn't, they all grew quiet. Jogging through the narrow corridor, gun lights bounced, reflecting intricate patterns. They kept pace for thirty minutes before the adrenaline wore off. Exhaustion wracked their bones, but they spotted a wide opening ahead.

When they moved beyond the corridor and into an empty extent supported by numerous, natural pillars, they crept carefully, turning, pointing their lights, gawking in awe at stalactites. "Better drop a light," the driver said.

The cavern lit up. The lighting device, like the one Korit had employed too recently, revealed more giant pillars of ice, frozen ground, and a ceiling fifteen feet above them. Wherever they were, they didn't see any walls, just shadows of pillars and then darkness. Korit tossed another light, but still, they didn't see much more than an intricate network of natural, supporting posts.

"Let's spread out," O'Hara suggested.

"Agreed," Korit said.

While he joined the captain, the agents meandered off. Nandesrikahl kept stride with Swain and the driver.

"I'm Swain," he said, extending a hand. "This is Nandesrikahl. Mostly, we call him Nandy."

"Jor-Tune," he replied and enveloped Swain's hand for a shake.

Another Thewl introduced herself as Sirt. She ambled about with Fitzpatrick and DeReaux. Minutes of roaming mindlessly stretched on. As time passed, one person groaned, stretched their neck, rolled their shoulders, or muttered obscenities regarding their backs, their enemies, their dead friends.

"Hey, Frenchie, take a look," Fitzpatrick shouted while aiming her gun light.

The beam bounced off icy cracks. DeReaux walked over, but didn't see anything remarkable. He turned to ask her, but she shoved him back towards the formation. He pointed his light. It wasn't a frosty, stone pillar; it was all ice, and there was a face frozen inside it.

"Guys," DeReaux screamed.

The others ran over to observe the discovery. The ice distorted shining beams, so it was tough to discern what they were seeing, but there was a beastly figure encased in the formation.

"Crikey," Nandy whispered. "It looks like an ape."

"This couldn't be a traveler," O'Hara said, looking to Korit, who placed a hand on the pillar.

"I, I have no idea...."

"Look for more," O'Hara ordered and took off.

Nandesrikahl followed. Seconds later, and a few pillars away, he found another. Korit found one more.

"This, this is them," Korit stuttered. "They're here. They're all here."

"They may or may not be the travelers," Adams was skeptical.

"Well, how do we get them out," Sirt asked.

"Not sure," Korit replied.

All the men turned to face Adams and Franklin. "What," Adams asked.