She's in love with some one else

It was the end of the school day and Peter was proud of himself for making progress with MJ. At least... he hoped he had...

Peter made his usual routine of going to the deli to get a sandwich, hiding in and alley to change into spider man, and finding a place to devour the food while watching over the city. He liked to pick a different place each day just to see each and every spot in Queens to pick his favorite one. But today instead of looking for an interesting place, he found himself a couple rooftops away from MJ's  apartment. 

He didn't know why, he just felt drawn to the place.

It was rather ugly if he was going to be honest with himself. Construction on the road made traffic jams which then resulted in car horns and angry yelling people. The sounds of giant truck motors and vehicles backing up gave him a headache from the construction sight. Yet, he stayed.

He could see the window of MJ's room was taped up to keep wind out until it could be fixed. He still felt awful about breaking it. Peter distracted himself by eating the sandwich.

Eventually he saw MJ's brown curly hair bobbing down the streets below as she made it home from school. He thought about saying hi but then remembered how much she hated Spider-Man at the moment for being a stranger and "stalker". He wasn't a stalker. Ok? He was just sitting on the edge of a building watching over the city because he was a hero. Not a stalker. Just keeping safety. Not a-

"Hey kid." Came a familiar voice from behind him. Peter jumped, and sadly dropped his sandwich. He watched it splat on the ground many stories below him.

"Mr. Stark you made me drop my croissant."

"That... that was a sand which. And I thought you had a Peter tingle."

"Please don't call it that." Peter grumbled as he stood up.

"Any ways, kid, we need your help." Iron man said with a storm voice.

"What?! Really?!! Whendoistartthemissionthisisthebestdateverthankyiuthankyiuthankyou" Peter fathomed.

"Hold up kid you don't even know what it is yet."

"..... what is it?"

"We need you to guard New York while we go to Switzerland. And by we I mean the avengers. And by guarding it I mean if aliens or something come her you call us and do not try and save it yourself. Got that?"

"And...... poof. Day ruined." Peter made an explosion expression with his hand. " why? Can I come with you?! Please!!!!"

"No."

"But then-"

"No."

"Can I-"

"No."

"When do-"

"No."

"Fine."

"Yes."
Peter crossed his arms and furrowed his eyebrows. He pulled the mask over his face to hide himself.

"Look kid. Your great an all but your not.. super hero enough to be an avenger." Iron man sympathized.

"Super hero enough?! Really? I work harder than any of the avengers to look after New York, our home! But yeah, I get it. The big stuff is what your talking about. Let me just say, I saved a woman from murder in an alley two nights ago! They had, they had a gun to her head! But not ONE of the avengers were there. Because one life is less than dozens right? What's the worth of saving one when you could save more at once from an alien invasion!" Peter ranted.

"That's not what I mean. Your not ready to be an avenger."

"And black widow is? She doesn't even have powers! And.. and these flips she does! You know? I can do twice as many twice as high. Hawkeye literally just shoots arrows! What does he do when he runs out?!"

"The same thing you do when you run out of web fluid. Kid, I mean mentally. We the avengers, we've seen some shit. And heck it was real scary. I wouldn't want you to have to go through that." Iron man explained.

"I'll stay here, and take care of New York and queens just as I always do! You guys go.. go save the world." Peter said turning his back to Tony. He then jumped to the building quickly, spinning a web and flying off.

Peter went to Central Park for some reason. He was Peter, not spider man. He really was t wanting people to swarm him and ask for pictures. He wanted his friends, or some peace.

He found himself sitting on a bench looking at the bridge. Swans glided gracefully over the water. He cared about them. He cared about every one!

But maybe it was because he had personal experience. His Uncle Ben died just a year ago by some guy who wanted his car. And no super heroes were their to protect him, his uncle.

Peter felt anger in his chest, but felt it lighten when he saw some one he didn't expect.

MJ.

She was walking towards the bridge with a flower in her hands. She looked sad, but also bore no emotions on her face. Peter watched her walk to the center of the bridge and place the flower down on the side.

Peter didn't know what came over him, but he suddenly felt the urge to go over and comfort her. Something was obviously wrong.

"MJ?" He said, loud enough so she heard. She jumped, being startled.

"Peter? What are you doing here?" She asked, facing him.

"I actually don't know. I sort of walked over here. Needed to clear my mind I guess." He replied, looking out at the swans in the water.

"Same." She looked down at the flower in her hands.

"Who was it?" Peter asked, gesturing the flower. MJ looked away, not answering for a couple sentences. But she found herself comfortable here, with him, in this place. So she told him.

"My grandma. She died of cancer last year." MJ said, fingering the flower.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It wasn't your fault, it was the stupid soulmark." She looked up at the water.

"Woah woah. Why? What's that for to do with it?" Peter asked and again MJ found herself comfortable telling him.

"The universe decided to pair her up with some jerk of a grandfather I have. He made her do everything, never shared money, made her pay bills, clean, take care of my mom and aunts, and made her take care of, well, everything. She got sick two years ago and that bishop of guy didn't even pay to get her cured. So the breast cancer killed her, and I will never forgive the universe." She for ready eyed.

"If you don't want to talk, you don't." Peter said.

"Ha, people normally say the opposite." MJ chuckled. "It's fine, that whole deal taught me a lesson. Never trust your soulmark."

Peter's heart flipped. So, she wouldn't care about her mark. Ever. No wonder she pushed Spider-Man away.

"Do.. do you.. "

"Spider Man." She answered/interrupted. "I'm pared with spider man in case your wondering."

"Oh.. so you'll never try it out? Maybe your meant for him." Peter said.

"Meh. I'm already in love with some one else." She said and dropped the flower in the water. "Nice chat." She said, turned on her heels, then left.

Peter felt like he had been hit by a truck. A truck driven by Michelle Jones.