Chapter 3 - An Extra Agreement

I was now sitting in the same seat Kate had been sitting in less than an hour ago. I am now the new secretary to Chase Bramingwood. Although, the job does entail a little more than making tea and photocopying. In fact this is more of a disguise to hide what I am actually supposed to be doing.

****

1 hour before.

****

As I entered the office, the one person I expected to be there, was not.

"Um hi I'm supposed to be having an interview with Chase Bramingwood" I say nervously.

"Hello, my dear I'm afraid I will be taking he interview today. My name is David Bramingwood, Chase's father". What? It was evident from my facial expression as he continued.

"I know you expected to be interviewed by Chase but I'm afraid that I was the one who sent the invitation to you not my son". Now I am really am confused.

"Please dear take a seat" he gestured towards the chair opposite what I presumed was Chase's desk. Walking towards the desk I quickly took my chance to glance over the office. It was sophisticated, that was for sure. Nothing less than perfect. Here was a dark mahogany desk with a black leather spinning chair behind it. There was photo frames of pieces of paper inside form what I presumed were achievements. There was a board with important telephone numbers on and a bookshelf on the far right of the room stacked with dozens of books.

"Right Miss Summers" David says "Did you bring any documents with you today"

"Yes I did hold on" I quickly pulled out the copy of my CV and handed it over. He smiled at me and then leaned under the desk, and the room sounded a loud buzzing noise. Oh no he didn't.

"Did you just shred my CV?" I gasped. He stared at me with his glacier eyes.

"Indeed I did Miss Summers. I understand that you are confused considering the letter you received you believed was from my son but I was the one who invited you here because you will be working for me not my son" he expalined.

"Riiight... So what exactly is the position I will be filling?" I question.

"Well in Chase's eyes you will be his new PA"

"But he already has one her names Kate" I respond not liking where this is going.

"Not for much longer she won't be."

"Bu-" I interrupted before I can even speak.

"That will be what Chase sees you as and you will paid like any other PA would be, however" he raised his index finger "at the same time you will be working for me. I need you help me get my company back". What in Jesus' name was going on.

"Now you've lost me. So my position will be as Chase's PA but I will be also secretly helping you" I clarify

"Correct Miss Summers" he smiles probably thankful that I am beginning to actually understand.

"Well how am I supposed to do that? You gave your company to your son when he was twenty two. I thought that that was what you wanted... For you son to continue the business".

"Oh it was. That was until I realised how much of a big mistake I made. The power has gone to his head. I mean, my son has always been an arrogant bastard, but after getting the company it's become worse. He thinks he can sleep with whoever he wants and can make rash decisions. And when it comes back to bite him on the arse, I'm the one who has to deal with it. If I don't get my company back it's going to down the toilet and everything that I have built up will be lost. Do you understand what I'm saying?" He asks.

I silently nod my head not being to speak. How can someone's father do that? Chase can't be that bad, can he?

"He really is, believe me". Shit, did I say that out loud?

"Yes you did" he laughed. "So are you in agreement, a job for your services?". Bloody hell he makes it sound like I'm some kind of prostitute.

"Miss Summers" he says waving his large hand in my face.

"Yeah, a job in exchange for my help" I reply. He slides a document across the table and a black fountain pen with 'Bramingwood Industries' written on it.

"What's this?" I ask eyeing him suspiciously.

"Just a formality. It just states everything we talked about today. Just sign here... And here". I quickly scribbled my signature on both dotted lines and handed it back to him.

"Thank you Miss Summers. Kate has cleared her desk and you have today to organise yourself for tomorrow.You start at eight sharp and remember you do not mention to Chase about our little extra agreement". He reminded me.

"I know, to Chase I am only his secretary". I stated.

"Very good Miss Summers. I will see you soon and thank you for your cooperation".

****

So that's how I got to be sitting here outside Chase Bramingwood's office as his new 'secretary'. Although I couldn't help but shake the thought that I should have read the contract.