Chapter 15: Monday, October 7th at 7:01pm

APRIL’S POINT OF VIEW

“I don’t understand,” I said softly.

“You are so gullible and so pathetic. I can’t say that I like Aiden, but you actually have a good guy there. You let me twist your mind into believing things about him that just weren’t true. The motel, the pictures. He told you the truth about it all, but you just sat back and let me pull your strings like a puppet. And it was easy.”

“Why are you doing this? What did we ever do to you?”

“What did you do? What did you do! You did everything! You don’t deserve to be happy or to get married or have kids!” she screamed angrily. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she turned to me calmly and breathed, “Why do you get to live? Why should you still get to be happy?”

“Leah, please, I am trying to understand you….”

“I don’t want you to understand me...this isn’t about me.”

She picked me up from the floor and just stared at me for a long moment. She walked away to pick up the green diary that she had thrown on the floor. Opening up a page, she sank slowly to her knees and started to read again.

“Mommy didn’t believe that Steve was sleeping and neither did the scary men in uniforms. They thought Mommy put Steve to sleep. I wanted to tell them she didn’t because they said that if she did, then she had to go away. I didn’t like it when Mommy went away because then I had to play games. Jay Jay said that it was OK. He said I didn’t have to play any more games. He said Mommy knew about Steve’s games, she even knew that Jay Jay put him to sleep. She said we only had to play one more game. She said that no matter what those scary men in the uniforms said to me, I had to pretend that Mommy put Steve to sleep. Jay Jay said I did well, that the scary men believed me. He said that even though Mommy had to go away it is OK because Aunt Janie was going to look after us now. Aunt Janie was a nice Mommy and Uncle Darren was a nice Daddy. He didn’t play any games with me. I liked him. I like living here. Everyone keeps saying that Steve has gone to sleep for a long time now. I pretend that I think he is sleeping, but I know he isn’t. I know he is dead...and I’m glad.”

****

Don't forget to let me know what you thing guys....my fav part of this is hearing your comments! Another chapter coming.....

Make Believe (Book #2, PRETEND SERIES)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें