Chapter 5: Monday, October 7th at 5:58pm

APRIL’S POINT OF VIEW

“I don’t understand. What did I do to make you so angry?”

“Angry? I am not angry. I am heartbroken. You took everything from me. You ripped my heart all apart, shredded every last bit of it.”

“What are you talking about?” I was so confused. Her blue eyes locked on mine, and as she uttered her next words, chills shot through my entire body.

“An eye for an eye, April. I’m not mad anymore or at least I won’t be, once I’m rid of you!”

“What?” I gasped.

“Oh calm down. You look so pathetic with all of those tears pouring down your face. Don’t worry, you still have a couple more hours to live. See, I want you to understand my reasoning because I am not a bad person, you know, or at least I never used to be. Not before...before….” She cut herself off, began to pace up and down the basement, and with an impatient hand, wiped the sweat off her brow.

Listening to Leah ramble on reminded me of how little I actually knew about her, how little I knew about this entire situation. It is almost impossible to comprehend. No amount of time or preparation can truly ready you for this, for the end. You can’t make a checklist or schedule this in your calendar. This was Leah’s raw, uncensored truth, and honestly, there could be no way to prepare.

Tied to the chair, I watched Leah lean her back against the dirty wall. I was still trying to figure out where we were, whether it was worth screaming, or trying to escape. How would I know which way to run or how to get out? She was smart; I knew that now. She works meticulously and so there is no room for errors or mistakes in her world. Everything has a purpose, and everything fits into her final plan.

The sound of a chair leg scraping across the floor interrupted my thoughts. She was dragging it slowly and carefully toward me, her eyes burrowing into mine the whole way. She then gently set the chair down, turning the back of it toward me. She acted as if she didn’t want to hurt it or cause it any pain. It seemed to be more than just a piece of furniture to her.

She straddled the chair so we were face to face. Only five inches of air, if that, separated our faces. She stared at me for what seemed like hours before folding her arms at the top of her chair and resting her head on it. She stayed in that position for two silent minutes before taking a deep and meaningful breath. Every part of my body was on alert. It was as though a warning siren had been sent to the inner core of my body, letting it know that there was about to be an invasion.

“To understand why everything has to end this way...to end with you, you have to understand how it all began.”

Her hand moved slowly to retrieve something from her back pocket.

“Do you know what this is?” She said as she waved a small green book in my direction.

“A diary?” I whispered. I had no idea where this was going and neither did I like it.

“No, it’s a record, a detailed record.” She opened up to a page, near the middle of the book with a look of pure hate on her face.

“What is it a record of?” I asked nervously.

For a moment, there was silence and no movement. Lifting her head so her eyes were in line with mine again, she breathed out her venom laced words.

“My screwed up life.”

****

So....Leah is definitely crazy! How much danger do we think April is in and why is this girl so obsessed with Aiden!!!!