•n i n e•

Beginne am Anfang

He was still so beautiful, even while asleep. Asleep in a slumber that was unusual.

I walk over to his body, setting my hand on his bare shoulder before sliding it down his arm to his hand.

I grab it gently, bringing it up to my lips. "I'll wait for you, my King. And I'll be back."

A small spark runs through my lips, and I smile against his hand.

I set down his hand softly, making my way to my quarters. The men guarding me follow, while some stay behind guarding the door.

"Send someone for Faulana."

One of the men nod, and he continues to walk as we stop at my chambers.

I release a shaky breath as my hand wraps around the knob, my chest constricting.

I haven't been back here for weeks. I figured if I stayed with him, I'd only focus on him. Not us, not our memories. Not walking him. Talking him. Smiling or laughing him.

I take a deep breath, straightening my back before pushing the door open with less hesitation. The cool air hits me immediately, and our combined scents waft over me gently.

I close the door behind me, pressing my body against it as my eyes scan the room. The bed was fully made, the black, gray and white bedding ironed to perfection. The black couch that rested against the wall decorated with pillows that I picked out because the room "needed color", had no creases. As if no one had ever touched it, had ever glanced in its direction.

The desk that sat in the corner though, was littered with papers. And our two favorite, unfinished books rested neatly in a stack.

I close my eyes, inhaling the stale room air. It was comforting, but I wouldn't allow myself to relax. I couldn't. Not without him.

I force my feet to move, stumbling into the bathroom. The automatic lights flick on and I flinch at the sight staring back at me.

At first glance, you'd see someone fairly normal. Maybe a stressed college student. But, when you stared for longer, you could see the pain behind her eyes. Her hair that was once long, thick curls were now knots that reached her shoulders. Her once brown, reddish colored irises were now a dull, dark brown that held no spark. Her skin that was once kissed by the sun, was now sickly pale with a green colored undertone.

I brace myself on the sink, staring at the hideous mess in the mirror.

"Goddamn, girl. Horrible." I mutter to myself, a finger pointing at the woman in the mirror.

A knock rings at the door and I poke my head out. "Yes?"

"You sent for me your highness? It's Faulana."

"Come in."

The door opens, and she glances around the room before her eyes land on me. Sorrow immediately falls over her face like heavy rain on a stormy day, and she closes the door behind her gently.

"What would you like help with, my Queen?"

I smile gratefully, waving her inside the bathroom.

"The people are gathered, Queen Samira."

I nod, wiping my sweaty palms on the red dress that now covered my body.

"Thank you."

The small girl bows, leaving immediately.

I leave the room, my dress sliding against the marble floor as my heels click loudly. The men follow me, their movements as quiet as a predator.

Two men standing at the large doors push them open for me, nodding their heads at me respectfully.